Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help: I formatted the hard drive on my Dell Dimension 8400 to reinstall Windows XP and I get as far as {Setup did not find any hard drives} using a Dell XP Home Edition reinstallation CD with Service Pack 1. The 80 GB Seagate ATA hard drive worked before formatting and passes in the bios test. I do not have a floppy and don't have a driver disc as I think the problem is in the controller driver for the hard drive. So I am at a complete dead end as I am unable to reinstall the drivers. Will a Windows 98SE program reinstall the drivers? Or, if I were to purchase a new Windows XP Pro program with the product key, will the new program recognize the hard drive and install it?
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSG.

I am not entirely sure but I would imagine that your problem is the probably a lack of SATA drivers for the hard drive.

If you notice during the first stages of the windows installation it should show a blue (ish) screen with writing along the bottom as it loads up the basic drivers needed to do the installation, this is done from the install CD.

At some point during that process it will as you to press F6 (possibly, cant remember exactly off the top of my head) to install 3rd party drivers, I think you will need these.

You should be able to get the SATA controller drivers from the Dell website.

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...D=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

That should link directly to the driver download list for Dell Dimension 8400. The ones you may need are the SATA drivers, use the newer version (top of the two). You will probably have to put them onto a floppy and install them during the initiall setup when you boot from the Windows CD, look for the part I mentioned previously.

It may work if you bought a Win XP SP2 CD, but why spend the money if you can get the drivers online for free and get it to work that way.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
It may work if you bought a Win XP SP2 CD, but why spend the money if you can get the drivers online for free and get it to work that way.
XP has no native SATA support, regardless of Service Pack.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I wasn't sure, just know that I can do a clean install with my XP Pro SP2 CD and I am using a SATA hard drive.
Many motherboards have the capability of emulating PATA through SATA connectors if SATA/ACHI is not enabled. Many do not. Some folks get confused by the language of the BIOS settings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, my thanks to Tanis and bbearren for your help. No this computer doesn't have a floppy disc drive installed. And my hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Model ST380013AS 80 GB Serial ATA hard drive that came originally with the computer from Dell. I downloaded and burnt the drivers to a CD, but the computer will not install them. I have tried different BIOS settings and nothing happens. So I am wondering if purchasing a new Windows XP Pro with the product key will fix my problems. Thanks agin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.