Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard rumors of windows xp sp 3. are they true? and if so, when will it be available to download and will it be free? thanks. theres no way in hell im upgrading to vista and i think i have many behind me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes there is a Service pack 3 for XP. It should be RTM(release to manufacture) around the last week of March or first week of April. How ever with that being said, I think you should sometime in the future consider an upgrade to Vista or Windows 7(which is in development and scehduled for a beta release the begining of 2009). I say this because XP won't be supported after 2013, and main stream support for the average home user ends in April of 2009.

Vista is really a good operating system. It had a bad rap from the start, but so did XP when it came out in 2001. There are a few things that Microsoft didn't get perfect on the first try, but they have fixed it with SP1.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Look closer. That is SP3 RC (Release Candidate) ver. 3264. Not an RTM (Release to Manufacture).

Big Difference. You might be lucky and you might not later on. Best to be patient and wait; even for few months AFTER the RTM is released.

Bob:up:

·
Banned
262 Posts
Look closer. That is SP3 RC ver. 3264. Not an RTM (Release to Manufacture).

Big Difference. Best to be patient and wait; even for few months AFTER the RTM is released.
I don't think theres going to be any "Big Differences" between what I have and the RTM. Kinda hard to be "Patient" or "wait" since I pulled the trigger several weeks ago with no ill after effects. If something was gonna happen then I think I would have seen trouble long before today.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Windows 7? Is Vista so bad that they are trying something new already??!! I heard horror stories about ME. Remember that? I am staying with my beloved Windows XP until it dies. I will not upgrade to Vista until than. MS should really support XP through 2010. Give the courtesy of time to users and even companies who are not ready for Vista. I've really grown tired of "Ohhh Ohhhh, it's new and cool, so we have to get it out." Than, when they get it out, it's crawling with bugs.

Jack

·
Registered
378 Posts
There are 2 important dates when it comes to support. There is the mainstream support, which is every single update and then the extended support which is critical security updates. Windows XP home mainstream support ends April 14 2009 and extnded support is over April 8th 2014. This has not changed as of yet even with SP3.

As for SP3 it is still only in its Beta testing. When it is released RTM you will be able to get it through Windows Update. It is always recomended that unless you are comfortable working with Beta software and take the appropriate steps, that you shouldn't install it. The RTM version will be the same as the last release candidate. With a few minor changes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
But its nothing more then critical updates. You won't get the malicous software removal or any other updates, only ones that close the big glaring gaps in security.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.