Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salutations fellow hax0rs.

=]

I have a question in terms of the collaboration between Windows File Sharing Securities and Wireless networking.

How can I effectively maximize the Windows security functions while operating a wireless network on XP?

For example.

Say that I have five wireless network stations; named Blue, Green, Red, Black, Orange. How can I use the windows sharing security in order to effectively manage my shared folders? Is there a way to allow the "Blue" and "Red" machine to grant access WITHOUT enabling the "Everyone" and "Guest" Allowances? IE: Can I specifically grant access to a shared folder to a network station?

I ask this because I would like to prevent someone whom happens to bypass my router's security to be *unable to obtain files on my network*. I figure if i'm able to define what stations can access shares; I can prevent this action from occuring.

For example: I have a file shared on my wireless network. Let's pretend its called "Shared". How could I allow only defined workstations to be able to effectively connect to these files without granting access to "Everyone" and/or "guest"? Is there a way to allow specific stations to be granted access?

I'm basically thinking of methods of improving the practical security of my wireless network by establishing a link between Windows securities in addition to my routers'.

I would appreciate it if anyone could elaborate or help me understand the collaboration of routers and windows xp securities.

Any input would be invaluable. Feel free to educate me in any method you find to be appropriate; for I'm anxious to learn more.

Thanks

Sincererly

-Mikey D, The Red Wizard

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
For wireless security use WPA2 or WPA with a passphrase of at least 20 letters, numbers and special characters mixed. Period. Nobody has yet cracked that.

Beyond that:
With XP Pro with advanced file sharing you can give file permissions explicit to a user. So if a unique user account is used on each PC, then I think you can do what you want.

You can configure many third party firewalls to allow access to only certain IP addresses; so if you are using static IP addresses you can also do at least part of what you want to do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is WEP of comparable merit?

Atm I use MAC filtering and hidden ssid; with intentions of configuring WEP very soon. I've never investigated upon the technology of WPA encryption.

Thanks for your input

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
"is WEP of comparable merit?"

Depends on the risk factor. Only a relative few people have the knowledge and tools to break WEP, so not likely that anybody will bother to break in unless they are practicing a new skill or have reason to believe there will be a big payoff for them. Those who have the tools and knowledge can break WEP in (as little as three) minutes.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Actually, the tools to crack WEP are readily available on the Internet through a simple search. I won't post them here, but if you are interested in real security, use WPA with the random key as Terry described.

Mac filtering and SSID hiding are anemic security measures that only make it harder for you to use your network, and they're not a real impediment to a hacker.

Maybe it's time for my monthly post of:

The Six Dumbest Ways to Secure A Wireless LAN

You might also take note of the description of the ease of cracking WEP. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's a discouraging thesis.

time to investigate the upgrading of my hardware utilities to a WPA supporting device.

can anyone suggest a nice modem/router dual with WPA?

(i'm interested in dsl modem/router dual functioning unit)

thanks again for your information

=]

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
"can anyone suggest a nice modem/router dual with WPA?"

a. Possibly the router you already have--look for a firmware update that will support WPA.

b. Anything you buy new now will have WPA, if not WPA2.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
It would help if we knew what router you have, make/model. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a westell 327W A90-327W15-06

I know the firmware is very old and the update device does not function. Westell is unhelpful in terms of establishing a firmware update.

does anyone know where to update the firmware for this component?

thanks

=]

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Did you do a factory reset and then try to upgrade the firmware? Exactly what are the symptoms of the failure to upgrade?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Oh, I think you need to download the firmware to your local disk and upgrade from the disk. I would never try to do an on-line upgrade, though I do notice my Actiontec MI424WR has that feature. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.