Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People

I recently installed a new motherboard and I had to perform a repair install of Windows XP. Now I have to re-activate Windows. I am reminded of this every time I Reboot. However when I click Activate Windows my pc stops at the desktop wallpaper before the icons and taskbar show up. And it stays there and stays there forever until I reboot again.

If I click NO to 'do I want to activate Windows' and click the Windows Star at the bottom right of my taskbar I am directed to a webpage that tells me my copy of windows is not genuine.

I got my copy of Windows directly from Microsoft. I know for a fact it is genuine. So how can I fix this?

When I perform the operation below I don't have an 'activate windows' button on my copy of windows xp. Its not in accessories or anywhere.

1. Click Start.
  2. Point to All Programs.
  3. Click Activate Windows.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
when a motherboard is replaced its considered a major hardware change and microsoft thinks its being installed on a brand new different computer and doesnt realize its the same computer that was previously activated with no problems.call microsoft and explain what happened and they should give u a new key to use.hope this helps u.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.