Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a problem with my other computer. The other computer is an IBM Aptiva. It has an Intel Pentium 2 processor. The computer is very old. It's a computer from the 2000's? It's so old that it's motherboard has a video card BUILT-IN to the motherboard. ( I don't know if computers still has video cards built-in to the motherboards anymore.) The Hard Drive i'm installing XP on is a "Seagate Medalist 6531". It's a Hard Drive greater than 2 gigabytes. I've installed XP on it before, but now i'm trying to format the Hard Drive. I press the R button, and then i erase the partition and create a new one. When it reboots my computer and then should start with the "real installation" it starts, goes on for almost ten minutes and then a window pops up saying: Some files are missing on XP CD ROM. And some files are missing. It's looking after the file cmprops.dll. The "original" search location for the file is: D:\i386. When i can't do anything i click "terminate". And the installation keeps going and when the OS starts it looks "crazy?!". It's like a windows 95 taskbar, internet explorer isn't working, and i can't seem to do anything. I really need help! Please! I'm in desperate need! I can't do anything anymore because of the installation of the computer. The one that helps me will get a big arabic hug from me :)

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
2,059 Posts
Try copying all of the files in the I386 directory of the CD to your hardrive before
trying the install.
When you get to the point that the installation needs those files, just point the
program to the folder where you copied the files. Otherwise, try here and download the problem file and over write it into the place where you have copied as above.
http://www.dynamiclink.nl/

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
A 2 gig drive? Forgot that nonsense and XP would have never installed on a 2 gig drive, impossible.
Sounds like the CD is scratched and need polishing. Tahe a SOFT dry cloth and rub the disc to see if soome of the surfacr scars can be removed then reboot the machine with the CD being the FIRST boot device, delete all existing partitions, and create a new one of about 15 gigs for the OS and program installs.

I'm afraid to ask what an "Arabic Hug" is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hard drive is greater than 2 gig, exactly = 6 gig.

I will try to copy all the i386 files to the computer before installing. Thanks for your help, i'll see if it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If i copy the files to my computer, won't they be deleted too? I mean, i will create a new partition and format the Hard Drive ..

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
2,059 Posts
Well. Your computer HD already has the HD formatted and partitioned? The install program will not do it again unless you tell it to. Or after you have formatted.Leave the installation and then copy the files to a directory on the new partition. You could even try copying the whole CD over (about 500 mbs) and run "setup" from there. I think a basic install needs about 2 to 3 gigs, maybe a little less, ( I think MS say 1½ gigs minimum, so you will not have a huge amount of space left for your programs. I'm Assuming you do not have an enormous amount of software, as you say you have installed before. Certainly you should not need 15 Gigs

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Make sure the drive is completely reformatted (NTFS) before trying to install the XP OS. - with a legit XP disk.
What you describe only happens when something is done wrong or you have a bad (maybe scratched) disk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've formatted the disk with the NTFS option. Both fast and slow, i still got the same problem. The CD has some small scratches on it, like every other CD. I don't know what to do now. Please post something that can help me, i'm in desperate need!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. Even when i downloaded the file and let the installer refer to the floppy where I had the downloaded file (from another PC) it could not locate it.
I tried the installation again, but changed one thing: that is during the network setup, I chose custom and unchecked the option for QoS.
The installation had no problems now. I'm not sure whether this was because of this little change but at least I did not any problems .

Good luck!:up:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.