Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help out the grandparents, who just returned home from a trip. They tried setting up their computer and it is giving them the message about the file missing or corrupt (something similiar to this- I may have the order wrong: c:\windows\config\system 32)
We printed off the directions from Microsoft for the recovery console. The first two files to copy regarding system and software indicate they "cannot be copied" however, the last three were able to be copied. I stopped my efforts there since the first two didn't work.
I noticed a prior post indicated I could ignore the first two copy commands, is that correct? Or can I try a repair in the reinstall option? What should I try first? Unhooking the printer/speakers? Hardware issue? If that fails, try F8 and use last known configuration? If that works, do I do a system restore? When would I use "safe mode?"

We are at different houses w/o wireless so I am trying to get all info I can before heading back over there. Thank you!

·
Registered
22,466 Posts

·
Registered
51,987 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should this be my plan?
try restarting and hitting F8, then "last known configuration" if that works, should I go in and do a "system restore"?

if that does not work-

use the startup Windows XP CD and use repair installation? (the advice given says to do this (simpswr), then another says it won't be an option (Elvandil)- but maybe I wasn't clear that I have the Windows CD to use).

Or should I go into the Recovery Console, which I tried before, and am left with the same problem-that the system and software files won't copy. What do I do then? (I have the notes from the link to the Microsoft site for repair but these files won't copy)

Again, trying to get the most information before heading back over there.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Anything that works is what you want to do at this point. Try "Last Good" and see what happens.

But having a boot CD to move files around and access the system for recovery (if needed) will make your life much easier.

UBCD4Win

You may end up copying old registry files as outlined in the links above and doing it with a normal desktop window makes it a lot easier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried a few of the links you all provided, sort of helped. I can get a Windows XP logo for awhile and it looks like it is loading. Then goes to the BIOS screen and no option works, safe mode, last known, normally- just restarts again and continues to BIOS screen. Now when I try to do anything in the recovery console it is asking for a admin password, which didn't before so I'm stuck there. The recovery console options did not work before as the files I was told to copy and move could not be found- this time it was the software one. So- any ideas now ? :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.