Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP clock

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Koot 
#1 ·
clock gains time. Any ideas?

#2 ·
It's very common for the clock to either gain time or lose time before it syncs again with a NIST Internet time service. Your XP clock automatically only syncs every seven (7) days, which gives it plenty of time to get off. The easiest method to have a more accurate clock is a little utility that changes the sync update to as often as once an hour. That's a lot better than once every week!

Here: You'll like this

Or, if you'd like to have your clock sync even more often than once an hour I can tell you how to modify the registry and have it update every 30 minutes, 15 minutes, etc., etc.

Also, some people add a handful of additional NIST locations to their clock update list (via a registry addition). It comes with just three.

#4 ·
Thanx, Koot but I don't have Administer level privledges. You said something about a registry?
Yes, the registry can be modified easily to have the clock update as often as you elect...however, if you do not have Admin privileges I doubt you'll be able to mess with the registry either.

Can you click on START > RUN and type in "regedit" (without the quotes) and click on OK? What do you get - the registry trees?

#8 ·
A window entitled "registry editor" opened.
Okay, maybe you will be able to change the registry. If so, do the following:

1. Type "regedit" in Run

2. Navigate to the following key in the left pane:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient

3. In the right pane, double click the entry called SpecialPollInterval.

4. In the Base section of the Edit DWord Value dialog box, click the Decimal option button.

5. Enter the desired interval in seconds (3600 = 1 hour, 1800 = 30 minutes, 900 = 15 minutes and so forth).

6. Click OK and close the registry editor.

Double click on your clock in the taskbar and click on the "Internet Time" tab. Click "Update Now". You will see the time that the clock synced...and below you will see when the clock will sync next. You should see that the clock will sync next in the number of minutes you set the registry.

If the next sync time is not for the amount of time you set in the registry you may have to change the value in the "CurrentControlSet" instead of the "ControlSet001" as noted above. First, try "ControlSet001".)

#9 ·
Doula, let me know if you were successful in changing how often the clock automatically syncs with a NIST time source.

Also, let me know if you are interested in adding some extra NIST time sources, which is easily done in the registry.

#11 ·
There is no entry called SpecialPollInterval!
If you have not already done so take a look in the registry tree “CurrentControlSet” instead of the “ControlSet001” to see if you have "SpecialPollInterval" there.

#13 ·
I lost you somewhere, but thanks for trying.
I'm not sure where you are having a problem. But...

You should be able to see the registry after typing "regedit" in RUN. Here is what you should see:

Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Then click on SYSTEM. Then click on the + to open further as you go. Click on "CurrentControlSet" and continue to click on + as you click on SERVICES, then W32TIME, then TIMEPROVIDERS, then NtpClient. Then on the right side of the page you should see "SpecialPollInterval". Double click on "SpecialPollInterval". Click the Decimal option button and enter the number of seconds to wish to use before the clock updates again, e.g. 900 seconds + 15 minutes.

#14 ·
I lost you somewhere, but thanks for trying.
I'm not sure where you are having a problem. But...

You should be able to see the registry after typing "regedit" in RUN. Here is what you should see:

From: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE click on SYSTEM. Then click on the + to open further as you go. Click on "CurrentControlSet" and continue to click on + and click on SERVICES, then W32TIME, then TIMEPROVIDERS, then NtpClient. Then on the right side of the page you should see "SpecialPollInterval". Double click on "SpecialPollInterval". Click the Decimal option button and change the value to the number of seconds you wish to use before the clock updates again, e.g. 900 seconds + 15 minutes.

#17 ·
I followed everything u said, but after i chged the value to 3600 (secs) it would go back to HEXADECIMAL & use e10 as the value data! any thoughts?
The problem could be that you do not have Administration privileges, yet you are [still] able to get into the registry. However, when you make changes it reverts back to the default settings.

Did you try this utility that I suggested earlier? If so, did it change the polling time? If it didn't - that pretty much tells me that you will not be able to modify your clock's polling time...because you do not have Administration privileges.

#18 ·
I followed everything u said, but after i chged the value to 3600 (secs) it would go back to HEXADECIMAL & use e10 as the value data! any thoughts?
You know it might have something to do with the little battery on the motherboard that controls time keeping. Chech that if all else fails, but I would advise you ask someone who knows how to dismantle and put it back together.

#21 ·
The problem could be that you do not have Administration privileges, yet you are [still] able to get into the registry. However, when you make changes it reverts back to the default settings.

Did you try this utility that I suggested earlier? If so, did it change the polling time? If it didn't - that pretty much tells me that you will not be able to modify your clock's polling time...because you do not have Administration privileges.
The "utility" is all Greek to me! But thanks for trying. Don't LABOR too hard today!

#23 ·
The "utility" is all Greek to me! But thanks for trying. Don't LABOR too hard today!
The utility is extremely simple and easy to use. All the you have to do is click where it says "Internet Time Update.zip" on the utility page link...and then click "Open". Then choose the time interval you want, e.g. 1 hour, etc.

However, if you do not have Administration privileges I doubt it will work for you...but you can always give it a try. There's no harm in trying it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.