Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three days ago I downloaded and installed all available windows updates (Including SP2 for MS Office, .NET Framework 2, and two Hardware updates). After it finished downloading and installing updates the computer rebooted to finalize the installation. But when windows resumed I had only 16 colors; one of the driver updates overwrote my ATI graphics driver. And about 8 seconds after my background, icons, and taskbar appeared (while programs were still loading in the background) I got a fast BSOD and then it rebooted.

My friend (who’s cable connection I used to download the updates) told me that he had the same graphic problem a week ago when he ran windows update, but his computer hadn’t crashed with a BSOD. He had fixed his computer by using system restore, so I decided to do the same.

Since windows crashed shortly after loading I booted into safe mode and restored back two hours. I then rebooted, but now the BSOD occurs before my desktop loads, it happens right after the initial windows logo screen with the green progress bar.

So I booted into safe mode again and restored two days back (to the tenth), but there was no notable change. It still flashes a BSOD and crashes right after the black screen with window’s logo finishes.

I tried a few other things, I went into safe mode and checked in Add and Remove Programs to see if I could uninstall the updates I downloaded, but they don’t show up (I don’t know what the updates were called, there were a lot of them; but I’m sure they aren’t listed because it shows the install date).

I also went into the device manager and tried to “Roll Back the Driver” for my graphics card, but there were no previous backups to roll back to. I would connect to the net and download the correct graphics driver, but “Network Connections” won’t open while in Safe Mode.

I would give you the BSOD error number, but it only shows up for a minute. I even unchecked "Automatically Restart" from Safe Mode, but it still reboots as soon as the error message appears.

I purchased the laptop about 10 months ago from Office Depot, but no restore CDs were provided. I have important data on the HD, but I can probably back that up from Safe Mode if necessary.

I was thinking that I might try uninstalling my graphics driver from safe mode; do you think Windows would automatically supply another driver if I were to uninstall it and reboot? It could be the faulty graphics driver that is causing the BSOD error.

Since Windows XP came pre-installed on this laptop I don't have the installation CD; but I do have the serial number and a sticker proving authentication. If I had the installation disk I could just do an upgrade/reinstall, but thats not an option right now.

Thanks in Advance for Your Help!
Zach Doty

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
If it boots ok in safe mode, the video driver is suspect . . try removing it in Device Manager, and restart . . when windows trys to find drivers, interupt it and see how it goes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I decided to uninstall the graphics driver and see what happened. That solved the BSOD, and windows automatically found suitable driver. But I still have two problems:

1. I can't increase the screen resolution from 640 x 480. When I try it says "The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. You may not have appropriate administrative rights to change these settings." and "The display settings being saved are invalid. Please try a different combination of display settings."

I have proper administrative rights, and I can't see how this selection of settings is invalid, so this is probably due to the driver. I found a website which had my driver available for download but its 40MB and I have dialup...

2. I store my files in a folder directly on the C drive instead of in my My Documents folder, or my desktop; so when I did windows restore I lost about 30 hours of work.

However, I did make a backup on the 11th, and I would be willing to start from that backup. I gave my backup to a friend and I'll have to contact him. Right now my main problem is the resolution.

Thanks for Your Help
Zach Doty

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Yep . . you just need the right driver for the card . . can you go to a friend with broadband? . . maybe the local library? . . Download it there and burn to cd

What video card do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
simpswr said:
Yep . . you just need the right driver for the card . . can you go to a friend with broadband? . . maybe the local library? . . Download it there and burn to cd

What video card do you have?
ATI Mobility Radeon Express 200 Series.
I can take the laptop downtown and find a hi-speed wireless connection to use; there are quite a few public hot-spots around here.

I found several download links for the driver:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...product=500264&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-34805-1
http://www.driverzone.com/device.php?id=5239
http://www.soft32.com/download_185676.html
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
I'll download the one from ATI and give it a try!

Sincerely,
Zach Doty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.