Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This directory contains a huge amount of subdirectories and files. It takes a long time to back it up. Since it is called "tempory" can the directory just be cleared? I

·
Super Moderator
37,527 Posts
Hiya and welcome

Do you mean the Tempory Internet Files? If so, yes, but not the actual folders. Just go to Tools | Interent Options. Under General tab, click Delete Files. DON'T delete offline content, OK and OK.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
OK, here's another one. :D

Works for Win95 and Win98.

In ME it needs to be done slightly differently.

Go to Start/run and type notepad /autoexec.bat (there's a space after 'Notepad'!)

Your Autoexec.bat will now open in Notepad.

Insert the following lines just before the last one:

@Echo Off
Smartdrv
Deltree /Y C:\Windows\Locals~1\Tempor~1\*.* > Nul

Save in 'File'

Now every time you start Windows these folder will be thorougly emptied.

Now my temp internet files are in C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet files
If the path to the folder is different on your system, it needs to be adapted in the batch file.

Many people have them in C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files, so in that cases the line should read:

Deltree /Y C:\Windows\Tempor~1\*.* > Nul

Here's some more info: Deleting Temporary Content

Good luck,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately I am running Windows ME, so what's different?When I tried to set the switch to delete temp files upon exit under advanced it doesn't appear.

Thanks again

Rich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tony & Phil:

Sorry for the delay, I have been sick in bed for two days.

I have searched the advanced internet options thoroughly and cannot find that switch. I am running IE 5.5. Is there any other switch which could cause the one I am looking for to be unavailable? Could it be Windows ME?

At least I know how to empty the files but it would be nice to do so automatically.

Happy new year to both.

Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.