Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I monitor my Task Manager regularly, and I noticed a pattern: When my PC finishes loading the Desktop, PF Usage is 217. When AOL starts running, it rises to about 239. When I keep AOL open for a couple days, PF Usage rises to about 650. When I reboot my PC, I return to 217 every time. Here's my questions:

Is rebooting the PC healthy for it?
How often should a user reboot?
Is there a way I can lower my high PF Usage to the usual 230, by closing AOL without a reboot?
Perhaps ending a process and then restarting it? If so, which process?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
What is the reason behind your desire to reduce PF usage? What advantage do you expect?

PC's are designed to be rebooted and can usually do so without any problems. The time between needed reboots varies by machine and configuration, so there is no set rule. Some drivers need to be re-initialized while others stay stable for long periods.

What is your concern and ultimate goal here?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
I don't know of any objective mthod of telling when a machine should be rebooted. Generally, performance begins to slow and there is an overall feeling of sluggishness that tells me to reboot.

If you have an app that needs to run at top performance, a measure of that app's functionality may be a canary in the mine for you.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
What you describe is referred to as a memory leak where after closing a app the memory is not completely returned. AOL is notorious for such issues.

Personnally I shut my computer down after use. No rouge program or hacker can run against a machine that is not on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.