Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. OS is WIN98. When I boot up my PC I no longer see the "Starting Windows" logo. I'm not sure how long has been happening. I have Nuts and Bolts which came with an application that will allow you to customize the startup logo but my customized logo doesn't show up....nor does the default. I was hoping that someone at TSG could help. Thanks.

Adam

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Wow, someone who got rid of it and wants it back.....I think that's a first.....

You need to edit a file called MSDOS.SYS....

A line has been added that says

LOGO=0

Under the [options] section.

Change it to 1 and you should have your logo back.

And you mentioned making a custom logo....did you back up the original Microsoft logo first?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opened MSDOS.SYS to be edited....it already has a 1 next to "Logo=". Tried restarting and the logo still does not come up. I don't think that was the problem. Is there something in the registry to control whether the logo comes up or not?

Sincerely,

Puzzled:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Sorry, I went back and deleted my post instead of editing it....I did a search on my windows 98 system and couldn't find it.....wasn't sure if I was confusing 95 with 98 like I sometimes do......but then double checked and if windows 98 can't find a 'good' logo.sys, it pulls the standard one from io.sys (which isn't able to be edited)......I'm wondering if the one with the strange ending is the one you or your program renamed?

Can you try opening them in paint?

LOGO.SYS must be a 320 by 400 pixel, 256 colour Windows bitmap file.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to open the logo.wbm files in paint....will not open. Tried renaming them to .bmp....still will not open them. I could however open logo.sys in MSPaint...it was the customized logo. Back to you again..... :) :) :)

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Well, it sounds as if you didn't save a backup copy of your original logo.sys. I think you should be able to extract a new copy from your windows installation cd....although I'm not sure which cab it resides in....if no one else posts back, I'll research it for you....if you plug it into google.com, something like windows logo.sys and do a search, you may be able to answer your own extraction question.

Another thing you can do, is your customized logo....did it ever work? If not, play around with it and get it into conformation with the pixel sizes......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the original Windows logo....I put it back in C: as logo.sys.....know it works. If I put my customized logo back...it doesnt' work. I changed it to the same size as the Windows logo....320x400 pixels....nothing. All it is is a picture of me and my daughter. Maybe it's because my pic is 376K and the Windows logo is 126K.....don't know. Getting close to a solution though I'm sure. Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.