Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is there a way where I can have every new windows screen that opens, open maximized instead of always minimized??? I have looked and looked, Im sure there is a way just dont know how. Thanks.

Rudy.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Let me see if I get this right. When opening a browser window, make sure it is maximized when you close it. If it is a hyperlink that you open, grab the sides and pull it out until it fills the screen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL...

Let me try this again... When my browser is open, and I hit a link per se... another window will open, but will open minimized. Is there a way that I can have every new window open automatically MAXIMIZED versus always having to manually maximize every new screen?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Yes and no.
You cannot have it open Maximized. That's by design. I think the logic is that if you wanted the new windows to block the old, you would not have opened in new to begin with.

What you can try as an alternative (and this doesn't always work) is this.
Open the Child window and resize it so it now fills the screen. Close it while holding the ctrl button. The next time you open a window, it should remember this size.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
That's right!
I also heard this explained as follows:

Start IE5, right click any URL and select Open in a New Window.
Go back to the first IE5 window you opened and close it.
Return to the second window and manually drag it to fill the screen.
(Do not use the maximize button)
Close this second window, using the close box.
All windows should now open maximized.
And the trick is NOT to use the maximize button, for that's a temporary setting which will not be remembered.

It works on my system, and with most people i"ve recommended it to.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahem...

I see, shouldnt someone at Microsoft have foreseen something like this? Why is it that everytime another screen opens after hitting a link per se it opens minimized??? Why not cut out the middleman and have a new screen open the same as the previous??? I hate having to hit the "maximize" button evertime I see a new window!!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Hi Doyce,
Nice to meet you. They are all the same only worded differently. And Believe me. I stole nada from Tony. LOL Sorry Tony! Tony will back me up. I am innocent. Innocent!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tony,

Im not sure if it matters or not but I have IE6... but I will try it.

What Im going to do is go to the Ad-Cache thread on here and hit the adaware link and see what happens... So you saying, if it opens MIN... pull it out to the edges to fill the screen manually on the new screen and then CLOSE this screen???

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
Originally posted by Mosaic1
And Believe me. I stole nada from Tony. LOL Sorry Tony! Tony will back me up. I am innocent. Innocent!
Hi Mo,

I can vouch for you!

And that'll be the day, that you'll be stealing things from little me... ROTFLOL :D

Then at least I know that I've made some progress...

Cheers, Tony

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok,

I see what you guys made me do... Basically I just eliminated my minimized button for use.... So now everything opens in MAX mode, which is fine... But shouldnt they make IE so that every new screen follows the previous size??? That would be my personal preference, also with having the MIN button still as an option... Good ol' Microsoft... THEY HAVENT THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING!!!!! LOL :-D

Thanks All.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
thebigcheeser,

May I correct you please? That is not called the minimize button. Minimize is the minus sign.
It causes the Window to disappear from sight. You are actually talking about "Normal" size.
And the answer is no. Some people want to be able to view the new Window and the old at the same time. As I mentioned earlier. Why have all the windows open Max? In that case, since you can't see what's underneath anyway, you may as well not open in a new window. Just use the Back and Forward buttons to Navigate through the open Windows.

I think that is the logic behind the design. And you have a workaround. So everybody's happy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I stand corrected...

Your right, I was just thinking... Why would I still want to see the main screen if I just hit a link to go somewhere else??? If I wanted to see the previous screen, why wouldnt I just hit the box on the bottom bar??? No need to reply... Thats just something to make you go Hmmmmmm.... LOL.. :-D

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
They did make it so Windows remembers the previous size after a window is closed, but only for the Normal Windows. If everytime you closed a Window after it had been Maximized using the middle button, all Windows would open Maximized. And using the min button will do the same as using the back and Forward.
We are speaking about the same concept. But from a design point of view it makes sense to leave the options open to the user as they have been.
One size fills the entire screen. The next can be resized.
And finally, you can minimze and have the window disappear from view.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I haven't tried it, and I don't have a link, but there is a free application called AutoSizer around somewhere that is supposed to give you a lot more control over window sizes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.