Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with streaming windows media player. On things such as videos and radio. I have exhausted all of my google searches for help and have read the help guide on windows.com for this error needless to say, it was useless. The error states " windows media play can not play this file. If the file is located on the internet, please connect to the internet." I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me. :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
hi...try this site.

choose the speed for your connection and see if wmp opens up and works.
if not try cleaning out your temp. files and try again.

if it still doesn't work let us know what happens (the same error message or what)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the streaming radio didn;t work before or after the temp files were removed, i got the same error message. ty t bone

i really appreciate any help to this really annoying problem.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
what browser are you using?

open internet explorer
go to pc pitstop and on the left side click the "check active x" in tests and scans.

if it fails go thru the list of possible reasons why and change settings as needed.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
check out this thread about the ie tab extension for firefox.

anyway let me get this straight...if you go to the radio site i posted before using ie does it work or is the problem with both firefox and ie?

another thing...in firefox go to tools>options>content tab...see if enable java and enable java script are both checked, if not check them>ok...then try the radio site.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
couple questions...has this ever worked?...are you sure your firewall is not blocking somehow?

a couple other thing to check if you haven't already

in wmp...>file...see if there's a check in "work offline"...if there is click on it so the check will go away.

in wmp...>tools>options...player tab..check "connect to the internet overides all other commands"...apply>ok

in wmp...>tools>options...network tab...make sure the 4 things under "streaming protocols" are checked...apply>ok

here's what the last one looks like on mine it's wmp11 but yours should probably look the same i forget...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey t bone, i tried all those things, and yes it has worked before, it was very sudden. Also i just use windows firewall. Thanks for your continued help :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
system restore may be worth a try...any restorations can be undone reverting back to your present state.

by any chance do you have google desktop installed....doing a google search i found the same problem that was caused by it.
it cleared up when the guy unininstalled/reinstalled google desktop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey guys i am still having the same problem. I took a break from pure frustration again, i am not all that patient, and operating a computer is difficult as i am paralyzed. I would again like to thank those who have helped, esp Tbone.

Now.. if i did a system restore, all my files accumulated and programs installed would remain correct? because that is my biggest concern.

EDIT; system restore didn't work. back to the drawing board :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.