Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please tell me why I invariably get the following error message whenever I click on a webpage link to play something using Windows Media Player (vers. 7.1, I believe):

Cannot open. Please verify that path and filename are correct
and try again.

I am using Windows 98. Offers of help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
wgreene... are you trying to use a shortcut to open the mplayer?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all very much for your responses.

I'm not really clear about what you mean by 'shortcut.' What I do is go to a website and click on a link. I don't type anything in. For example, I've gone to a Japanese website -- http://www.qab.co.jp/ -- and there is a thumbnail photo of a cityscape with the words "Live camera" underneath. I clicked on this photo and I got the error message. I then clicked on Advanced and got the following code number: 800C000D, with an explanation that 'the server or proxy was not found.' In this case, does that mean nothing is available for viewing and that anyone else would get the same message I've been getting? As I mentioned before I have gotten the same -- or similar -- error messages a number of times recently when attempting to use WMP.

However, I went to the CNN website about 30 minutes ago and clicked on VIDEO, then chose my player (WMP) and my connection (broadband), then clicked on the link and was able to watch the video without any problems. So obviously I'm not having this WMP problem all the time. I'm not very computer savvy, so I don't understand why this error message shows up as frequently as it does. I can't ever recall having gotten it at all until recently.

Thanks again for your help(s).

Bill

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering if the link would work with RealPlayer. Previously I had RP installed but I believe it was conflicting with WMP, so I unintstalled it. In a few minutes I will re-install RP and try the link again -- and hope that there are no conflicts with WMP. Also, I'll return to Tony's link. Thanks all.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.