Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old computer had windows 98-------My new one has windows Me-------What is the difference between the two?--------I really can't see a lot of difference between the two after having had both of them for some time-------Thanks as always.

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
cmed
The major differences are:
System Restore
System file Protection
Help and Support Menu
There are others if you wish to read MS Hype Click Here
System restore is nice since you can easily restore your system to a previous stable state. It is much like scanreg /restore if you are familiar with that except restore is accessible in normal mode and safe mode. It also can have 30 plus days to restore to instead of five.
System file protection is an automatic version of SFC. When ME install it install all the cab files and locks certain system files from change. If a protected system file is changed it will automatically replace it with the correct one upon restart.
Help and support has many aspects you will have to explore there to find what its capable of.
You will find little things different to as you go along.
Have fun and don't be afraid to ask if you have problems.
Dave

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
One of the major differences I see everyday is that you don't need to keep the Win98 cd in your pocket. Everything you ever need is on the hard drive.
Oh, yes, you don't get the BSOD everytime you sneeze either..
Del

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
cmed
System restore is located under start/programs/accessories/system tools
Once there you have two options 1) restore to previous date
and 2) create a restore point.
If you select restore to previous you will be displayed a calender
with dates to chose from.
Create a restore point is useful if you create a restore point before any software load or update. If the load goes bad you can always restore to before load.
Also I am not sure if the restore feature you have has been patched for the Sept 8 problem.
To check it out Click Here
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.