Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been having a strange problem with my CD-Rom drive for about 2 weeks now... Here's what happens:

1. After a normal shut down, I turn on my computer. The CD drive seems to be working (shows up in 'my computer')
2. After about 10 minutes, my computer freezes for what seems to be no reason at all.
3. I have to click the restart button on my computer, since I can't get to the start button.
4. The restart takes about 30 seconds longer than a regular restart.
5. When I click 'My computer,' the CD-drive doesn't appear. I can eject the disc, but the CD-drive just can't seem to be detected by my computer..
6. After a normal shut down, I turn the computer back on. Back to step one.

Here's the info about my computer:

- It's made by Dell.
- It runs on Windows ME.
- It's 2-3 years old.
- A², Spybot, Ad-aware, Hijackthis, Absolutestartup, TDS-3, Port Explorer, and online virus scans detect no problems.
- The device manager says the CD-drive is working properly

Even if I am not running a CD, the computer still freezes after a few minutes. (Being turned on from a 'normal' shutdown.)

Could someone please tell me what could be causing this problem, and how I could possibly fix it?

Thank you very much

·
Registered
16,274 Posts
Would kicking the computer have caused this problem? [/B]
Are you serious, kicking a computer ? Of course kicking a pc could cause damage..If its a loose cable just secure it to the board and/or cdrom..With the power off as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.