Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently get the following message when on the internet -

Explorer has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL.Explorer will now close.If you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer.

When I press ok I return to the desktop,but I don't have to restart the computer.

Any help please?.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hi Newdumbo,theres alot of things that can cause at error.See if this article helps you any:
EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in KERNEL32.DLL
Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Kernel32.dll
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q154/0/92.asp

A damaged *.pwl list can cause this problem - rename <username>.pwl to <username>.old

Delete all extra copies of WSock32.DLL, except the one in windows/System folder

Have a look at this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q225/0/40.asp

A damaged history folder can cause this error - boot using a floppy so you can access DOS if you use WindowsME or Windows 2000. If using 95 or 98 shut down all programmes and boot into DOS then run the following commands from the Windows directory, typically c:\windows\>

smartdrv
deltree history

Reboot using ctrl, alt, del to restart. If using Windows ME, remember to remove the boot floppy.

NOTE:

Different operating systems use different paths to the history, temporary internet files and cookies folders. Check your system to make sure that you are using the correct path for your machine. For example, you may find your folders are located at ...\documents and settings\{identity}\{dir} or similar.

Ensure you are not running CleanSweep4.

Reget from Softseek is known to cause this problem with IE5.5 - make sure you have the very latest version available.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i'm plagued off and on with various invalid page faults. for kernel 32 it's been suggested to delete the password file *.pwl. remember to write down what your passwords are so you can reenter them, like the one for your isp dial up connection. also check out these 2 links. :p

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
One of the most common causes of these errors is hidden "spyware" which comes bundled with many installs. Lavaloft's Ad-aware will detect and remove these. It is as vital as any antivirus program (have you checked for those?)

Read the FAQ and "getting started" pages before running it.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have downloaded Lavaloft's Adware software and run it.There was quite a lot of spyware on system.Have removed these and things are looking hopeful. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi newdumbo. I just wanted to add that when AdAware removes the Spyware components, most likely the programs that came bundled with the Spyware you removed won't work properly without the Spyware components. Just thought I'd let you know. :) sharon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.