Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This question/long saga is for my grandfather’s computer, which is a Gateway running Windows ME. Unfortunately, due to the problem listed below it is not even operable currently and I can’t run a HiJack This log (which seems to be requested a lot on these forums) to get any information.
My grandfather recently switched from AOL 9.0 to Verizon DSL on his computer. When I went to visit him he asked me to remove AOL 9.0. Having no time to access the registry modifications that I would need to make to remove AOL correctly, I decided to give the AOL Uninstaller a try. Unfortunately, this was clearly a bad decision, as after it shut the computer down, before Windows started it said, “Unable to convert %1 to %2” about 6 times. Then it told me that windows may be unstable and to press any key to continue. I figured I’d give it a shot and pressed a key, windows appeared to be stable. I checked to make sure AOL as gone, and as expected, it remained. I wasn’t going to bother with trying the uninstaller again and figured I would just get the registry modifications later from my (much faster) computer.
Of course, my grandfather is a Mr. Fix-It, and decided today (about a week after I had been there) to try and remove AOL himself – by running a search for AOL and deleting any file that came up connected to it. And then he emptied these files out of the recycling bin. Well, of course, this was not the right course of action (I have told him numerous times NOT to do this, but he doesn’t listen) and now the system is completely unstable. Windows will not start due to “dangerously low resources”. I can’t even find a Gateway Goback (system restore) point that would rescue the system. My question at the end of all this, is there a way to rescue .doc files and a couple other saved files from this obviously severely messed up computer? My grandfather is crazy about genealogy and has spent 6 years building his files (which he refuses to back up on a USB key) and he expects me to somehow crack open this computer and extract his files. Does anyone know of a way, maybe a DOS command, that would let me copy these files .doc and Family Tree Maker files (I forget the extension for these) over to a USB key or even a lot of floppies and get them on the new computer he will be buying (I told him after I get these files off this computer will never be fixed by me again – I can’t stand Windows ME)? If anyone knows how to do this (or even has suggestions) I would be really really happy! I am gone to a computer-free zone for the next week (Florida for a family vacation and my laptop isn’t invited) and so won’t be able to be real quick on answering anyone but once I’m back I will give more information (if I can provide it). Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
1) can you get into safe mode - tap F8 as booting
2) can you use system restore from windows ME
3) you could take the Harddrive out of the PC and put in another PC as a slave and copy the files
4) download a boot startup floppy (if he has a floppy drive) and copy the files across to USB - should enable the USB - can remember
5) download a boot startup floppy (if he has a floppy drive) and copy the files across to the floppy if size will allow
6) ultimate boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ may get you into DOS to copy if no floppy
7) there are recovery programs to recover deleted files - http://www.z-a-recovery.com/ - i have used the free version which recovers upto 4 folders only
8) try booting in safe mode and use last known config

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.