Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, lets get started

Can any one please tell me how much Ram Windows ME, can see and use.

I know that windows 98 can only see about 512 MB is that right ?

I want to upgrade the memory of My PC so that i will never need to do it again I am at 256 MB right now.

can anyone help.......

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've heard lots of different things about this. ME can definitely see a large amount of RAM 512+ but it can't use that much.

I've heard some say 128 is the usable max and others say 196. I think its safe to say that putting anything over 256 megs of RAM in an ME machine is just a waste of money.

However, an article at CNET caught my eye the other day about Windows in general. It said something about how the GDI resource pool ultimately limits how much can run at once in a Win ME 9x machine.

---ripped from cnet----

"Windows and its applications use three resources--System, User, and the graphics display interface, or GDI--to keep track of data they need in order to run. (These resources are separate from the RAM and disk space your PC uses to hold applications and data.) In Windows 3.x and 95, each resource was limited to 64K of RAM and filled up quickly. Microsoft changed resource management in Windows 98, 98 SE, and Me so that the User and System resources could use as much available system RAM as needed. Unfortunately, the GDI resource pool stayed at 64K for undisclosed technical reasons. When this pool is used up, you'll begin to see garbled graphics and blacked-out icons."

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Basically, above 512mb there are vcache issues which degrade performance and actually cause "out of memory" problems unless corrective measures are taken.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q253912

As for "system resources", this is a specially allocated memory area for managing specific types of operations. It is not to be confused with the amount of installed ram.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.