Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to clean up my drive and notice there's some possible downsides to using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility tool. I'd be interested in others' experience, good and bad, with using this tool before i go ahead and create bigger problems for myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just going by what I've read on other posts. It sounds like you might have to reinstall software in some cases, or you mess up the operaton of currently installed programs. Hence my questions as to what others' experience has been.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
Of course whatever you remove from the windows installer information files is essentially gone so whatever software was associated with those installer files has to be reinstalled to be used. That's essentially how the utility works to "right the ship."

I also had one case where the two subsequently installed programs after the bad install had to be reinstalled to restore function so I guess you could consider that to be messed up, but logically so and that is just a variation of the standard protocol.

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
The Installer Cleanup is primarily meant to clean out installer files to resolve problems.
When you run this program against a specific entry it "removes the files and registry settings that make up the Windows Installer configuration information for programs that you select".

This means that it is no longer Uninstallable and won't appear in Add/Remove.

If this is what you are "cleaning up", then this is the tool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for the comments. My main objective at this point is to simply clear disk space. I noticed my installer directory is 8 gigs in size, which is unusually large, so I thought I might use this tool to free up some space, instead of just manually deleting a bunch of msi or msp files. I just don't want to create more problems for myself by using the cleanup tool. I may or may not have the original disks available to reinstall some programs, for example.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.