Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has me stumped. When in Windows Explorer (XP Pro) and burrowing through folders I get the following error:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Details:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 000106c3

I can make it happen consistently by going to the eighth level of sub-folders.

It just closes Explorer and then everything comes back up (except for Explorer or my email if I was attaching a file).

I have tried everything I can think of, including a reparative install of Windows XP Pro. I have run sfc /scannow. I try to do regsvr32 ntdll.dll and I get the following error:

ntdll.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file can not be registered.

I have run Ad Aware SE, SpySweeper and Spybot (and even a TDS-3 full system scan). Spyware/virus is not the problem. Caches/temps are cleared, she defrags fine. This is a Dell Latitude 600m 1.6GHz 768MB.

Any ideas - I am giving up for tonight as the sun is rising.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fixed!!

Someone told me about a possible problem with Adobe Photoshop and thumbnails.

I thought it was a long shot, but this machine did have Photoshop Elements 1 and 2 installed on it (one may have been accidentally installed over 2 by our COO).

I uninstalled both and the problem went away.

I reinstalled only Elements 2 and everything is still working.

What a long strange trip this one has been!

·
Registered
52,785 Posts
Thanks for posting your solution. It probably involves a context menu extension of Adobe. Possibly the software could be reinstalled and used if the context menu entries that it adds were then removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i get this error too...with a ntdll.dll....but for me it's the prbl with ymess... i get this error :
AppName: yahoomessenger.exe AppVer: 8.1.0.421 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00011e58

what can i do.....sry for wrong posting :( i really need help pls...
P.S. : when i enter command "regsvr32 ntdll.dll " it says: " ntdll.dll was loaded but DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found.the file can not be registered".
PLsssss help..10x anticipate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.