Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Wonder if you can shed some light on this for me please. My PC started doing flakey things all of a sudden like opening up multiple windows, flickering start menus, taskbar reveal would jitter open / closed, then after a while windows would freeze up altogether. My immediate thought was virus but machine is guarded and I never open dodgy emails or go to bad sites, anyway I booted off bit defender boot disc and scanned with negative results, booted back into windows everything ok so I scheduled a boot time scan with avast after which this also showed no infections. So then I thought this is maybe a corrupted windows (XP). I had been considering changing to Windows 7 so I thought ideal time. After a format of the HDD I installed Windows 7 successfully great no problems until the next day when the same started happening in Win7, so now I'm thinking this is hardware based so I did a format and fresh instal on a different hard drive of windows xp, renewing all drivers, and everything ok for one day in which I tried to stress the system by playing games all good, until you guessed it the same started happening again! So now I'm sure its hardware, have tested memory with memtest and that seems ok. So any ideas?
My system
gigabyte ga p35c ds3r
E2160 oc'd to 3.0ghz with extra cooling
Really tempted to go out and get all new stuff but lost my job and need to count the pennies now so help in isolating the culprit bit would be much appreciated ,thanks.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Two hardware items occur to me. First, the PSU. that is the easiest item to eliminate as the cause by simply replacing it. If it doesn't fix the problem, you can always return it. Next would be the processor or mobo.

But before you do any of that... Do you know how the internal temps your hardware are running? If not, you can download a free utility called PC Wizard. This program has a monitor for all the critical temperatures in your machine. Worth looking at first.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
Graphics hardware is another possibility from the symptoms and that would also point to overheating possibly or a bad capacitor, since the symptoms don't start right away and aren't very consistent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, Raybro you were kind enough to reply on a thread I posted in the hardware section entitled 'running from bootable disc question' which is related to this one. Unfortunately the system now still boots but windows is virtually useless and won't allow me to run anything straight from start up, in the past when everything was good the temps were low, it has a tuniq tower on it, and although it was oc'd to 3.0ghz it was very stable and capable of much higher if i wanted. It is in an antec 900 case which is well vented. The graphics card is fairly new, but has been no problem before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.