Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Windows XP and I was using Firefox. I clicked the X to close one of the tabs that I had open, and the whole window closed. A new window popped up that said something like "Firefox Crashed", and it gave me the option to send info to Mozilla about the crash, and then there were two options: one to restart Firefox and one to quit Firefox. I chose "restart" and nothing happened. I hit ctrl-alt-del to make sure my computer just wasn't being slow, and it wasn't, Firefox just hadn't opened up again. So I clicked my Firefox icon, and the "Firefox Crashed" box popped up again. It did this repeatedly, so I restarted, and Windows seemed to get stuck at the screen right before you see the desktop. I was impatient, so I restarted again, but in safe mode. I then ran Malwarebytes' and it came up with no results. I thought that maybe it was just a fluke, and the first time I restarted, it had just randomly been taking longer, so I then restarted again in normal mode. Again it seemed to be taking a long time, but I just waited. A minute later, it started up, but it wasn't right. The taskbar is minimized, and it won't come back up. I can also see that it's not the normal blue color, but it's the older-looking tan color that it had in safe mode. I still get the "Firefox Crashed" box when I try to open Firefox, but it doesn't matter because it won't even connect to the internet when I try Internet Explorer anyway. It also won't let me run Malwarebytes' anymore. This is all way over my head, so hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Boot into Safe Mode and let your installed anti-virus run a full scan on all drives and see what it finds. I realize you can`t update it as you`d normally do before a scan but work with what you`ve got for the time being.

Jenny

·
Registered
638 Posts
Malwarebytes is good at picking up malware (the clue is in the name) but you need to run an aniti-virus scan using an anti-virus program and possibly a spyware scan as well just to make sure your system is free from nasties.

I`ve been told off on here for recommending anti-nasty software to people because I haven`t been officially recognized so I`ll just tell you that I`ve used AVG and Spybot (both freebies) in the past with a great deal of success and indeed they`re still installed and giving me hassle-free surfing.

Jenny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.