Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to help from the forum I got Windows 98SE re-installed on an old Gateway PC. Briefly, I had to re-install Windows 95, then Windows 98 over it, then upgrades to 98SE (mainly because I didn't have the full Win98 disc at the time to start with).
Now it starts up fine, but after sitting for a while and after it shuts down in power saver mode, the screen turns to a multi-colored bunch of columns of little squares and rectangles. Pressing a key doesn't return it to the desktop screen and I just have to turn the power off and start it back up and it works fine after that. I didn't want to install any programs or internet onto the PC until I get this straightened out, just in case I had to re-install something all over, but I'm hoping it's just a quick setting or something that needs to be changed, (and not a virus).
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
98se is old enuff that you should be able to get the full, legit copy from a computer shop for a few $$$.

95 to 98 to se, upgrades are trouble.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I'll go ahead and do that, and I'll keep an eye out for the full 98SE disc just to keep around - it sure would have come in handy when I was trying to re-install all this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.