Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help. I have very low system resourses because of the programs that are on my Windows 98 startup. I do not remember how to remove the programs I do not want.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help.

Thanks sooooo much.
Camero

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
OR......stsrt/run/type msconfig.....under startup tab uncheck everything except systry and explorer.....re-boot and then add things back one at a time.......good luck.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
$teve,

There is no explorer to uncheck under msconfig, there are other considerations as well........

.........some people have their mouseware as an entry in msconfig, and they will find it very difficult to go anywhere on the desktop after a reboot without a mouse. :eek:

It really does not matter if you uncheck systry or not as it uses less than 1% resources according to MS you need it, truth is you don't. I agree do not uncheck systry, but if you do it is not the end of the world.

Please understand I'm in no way knocking your advice down, I just wanted to point out the facts here.

Take a few moments and look at the link I provided and you will have a new take on the nuts and bolts of msconfig.
We all start with zero knowledge and we just build on that hopefully learning something new each day.

I think you just had an oversight and confused ctrl/alt/delete and msconfig. ;)

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Then to I guess to clarify this further, disabling any mouseware I've encountered won't stop the mouse from working. The mouseware only adds settings to allow the user to "tweak" certain the mouse functions like acceleration, double click speed, etc .... It will be slow moving but the mouse will still function while you debug startup with everything disabled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your help, I still need a little more advise.
I have a Compaq Persario 5185 series, Best Data Cable modem, Cannon C530.

What is ScanRegistry is it important.

Ok, By unchecking the programs in Startup Configuration, all I am doing is turning them off, I can still activate them manually...right?

If so how do I remove the preload junk I do not want or need?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
"What is ScanRegistry is it important"

Yes it is, so that when you start your computer, the registry is backed up automatically.

"By unchecking the programs in Startup Configuration, all I am doing is turning them off, I can still activate them manually...right?"

Yes.

"how do I remove the preload junk I do not want or need?"

Use the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

DS

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
hey dark star.....in no way would i ever take any offence with yours or anyone elses corrections,as you say we are all here to help and learn and glean advice from other members...."oversite"....lol maybe,but i think my excuse is that i was just checking in before i went to work and was maybe in a rush......(well......is there anything better?)..and thinking about it,the mouseware option is not obvious to everyone i agree.......smack my legs.
catch ya later.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
$teve that is cool, as you can see I too have a cape and can also fly. ;)

I know what you mean though it's hard sometimes when your going faster than a "speeding bullet"..........

I think my screwups may have something to do with how the air is so thin when I'm flyin' so high, works for me. :D

Take care,

DS

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
its the "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"that lets me down.....maybe if i buy a sturdy pair of flip-flops ill have more luck.:p

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
.......see that's what I'm talking 'bout here, you ought to try that.
I've got the web feet thing going on here and it helps.

Ain't no luck............. I learned to duck.

DS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey!

It worked.

I'm glad you have been flying high and going faster than a speeding bullet long enough to help. Thanks.

Didn't think I was checking this, did ya?

Camero

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
hey camaro...........we love it when a plan comes together:)
now all we need is a phone box to change back into our jeans and trainers............goos luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.