Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
A couple of weeks ago I got Charter cable Internet. The insall man got it up and running on my Windows 98 PC. I disconnected the modem and moved the PC to another location. Now I can't get it to connect to the server! I have tried everything and so have the Charter help people. ugh. They told me I need to upgrade to XP or Vista. Has anyone else had trouble with a cable modem and Wind. 98? Also, could I load Wine or ReactOS and get it to connect without purchasing MS OS for such an old machine?
Thanks for any help, suggestions.

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Had the same problem last year with my Daughters computer,when trying to install broadband a message came up on the screen saying Windows 98 needed to be upgraded to at least Windows 98SE for it to work ...so thats what we had to do .....upgrade,we went for XP ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only question for me was that this PC accessing the internet just fine until I moved its location. But regarding the upgrade, has anyone used a linux based OS in order to get the more current drivers and such to better utilize the USB. I have read that Wind. 98 doesn't really handle the USB stuff very well.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,505 Posts
If your computer doesn't have an integrated network adapter on the motherboard or has a network card in one of the PCI slots, you should install a network card and then connect your cable modem to it instead of connecting your cable modem to a USB port(which I assume you're doing right now).

You're correct in that USB usage can be iffy with Windows 98/98SE. If I have the choice of installing Windows 98SE or Windows ME in an old computer, I install Windows ME because of the better USB support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.