Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home computer used to give me a message saying that Kernel32 had a problem (I do not remember the exact message, but it had something to do with finding something). I renamed the Kernel32 file and replaced it with the Kernel32 from the Windows 95 CD. From then on I could not get the computer to start Windows, even in Safe Mode.
Question: Since I can get it to start in MSDOS mode, could I buy a newer operating system (i.e. Me or XP) and load it? Would that work? I have a lot that I want to keep on this computer, but it is an earlier Pentium Gateway and I could probably use an upgrade to a faster computer, one way or another.
What could I do to preserve my old data and go forward?:confused:

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Hi NSteiner, welcome to TSG....

If you renamed it, why don't you just rename it back....at least that way you may be able to get into windows.

And since you're running windows 95, you have an older system, trying to upgrade your operating system may or may not be feasible....depends on the amount of ram, the cpu speed and hard disk space.

You could try a re-installation of windows 95 if you can't fix this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As soon as I renamed the original Kernel32, it disappeared. I wonder if the operating system protects itself by not allowing the kernel to be renamed. Anyway, I have nothing to go back to. I already tried to reload Windows from my 95 CD but it told me that I have to be in Windows to do that. Any other ideas?:confused:

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
What does the top of the windows 95 cdrom say?

You should be able to boot to an a: prompt with a windows bootable floppy disk that has cdrom support and re-install....you need not be in windows to do this.

Change directories to the cdrom which will move one letter ahead, more than likely e: and type setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the floppy disk containing the CD-Rom drivers and booted from the Window-95 disk. at first I had a lot of problems with it, but eventually it was working. One of the many problems was that the Video driver needed to be reinstalled, then it lacked the Windows 95 optional CD, which I have not installed yet, but I am now coming up in regular mode with all of my programs showing on the desk-top. The biggest problem I still have is this: Why does it take forever to load programs like AOL? I started loading AOL, and one hour later it was still on the initial AOL box. When I tried to run the Norton Disk Utilities, it gave me a message that something else keeps writing to the disk and that this is slowing it down. The only thing I had not yet stopped from running was AOL because it did not seem to be doing anything. Everything else was off the system. I am now at work and as far as I know Norton is still checking the disks - 14 hours later. It is alsmost as if there were another system within the system that was trying to shadow run everything. I say that because several things were drreated double. Any ideas of what may be going on?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
You're going to have to stop the AOL installation in order to run scandisk....why don't you just boot into safemode and run scandisk from there?

Also, how much free space to you have on your hard drive?

Have you recently scanned for viruses? Is your virus software up to date?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.