Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to re-install either Windows95 or 98SE on an old Gateway PC after it crashed. The PC initially came with Win95 and was upgraded to 98SE, but as I think I only have the 98SE upgrade disc (along with the original Win95 disc and system discs and floppy), I've been trying to reinstall Win95 first and then upgrade to 98SE again.
After re-formatting, the Windows95 started to setup okay then gave this message:
Setup Detection Error Error SU-0013
Set up could not create files on your startup drive and cannot setup Windows.
If you have HPFS or Windows NT file system you must create an MS-DOS boot partition. If you have LANtastic server on SuperStor compression, disable it before running Setup. See SETUP.TXT on Setup Disk 1 or the Windows CD-Rom.

I'm not sure what that all means and I'm pretty sure I did something wrong when reformatting or doing the FDISK thing, but any help would be appreciated as it seems I'm pretty close to getting this thing up and running again.
Thanks,
Pete

G

·
Best advise I can give is to get your hands on a Win95 emergancy startup disk.
Running that will start you up right in the MS-DOS mode.
From there you can preform a proper working format in witch you can install Windows 95.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ohheck - just to check, I do have a floppy disc labelled Win98Staret-up disc that someone gave me with the Win98SE CD-ROM - would that be the same as the bootdisk?
Second, my current Dell computer doesn't have a floppy disc - can I download the bootdisk from Bootdisk.com to a CDR and use that instead. Then could you tell me exactly which disc to put in the floppy slot and which one to put in the CD drive of the old gateway when I'm running set-up.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
put the win98 startup floppy in- turn on pc, when it syas "boot with cd rom support?" select yes- after it's done put the win98 install cd in, type "d:" (assuming your cd rom drive letter is d)
then type "setup"-
you can also make use the files at bootdisk.com to make a bootable cd-

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Before you try to format the hard drive with the Windows 98 startup floppy disk, make sure that it has the FORMAT.COM file among its list of files. If it doesn't, you can copy it to the disk from the C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND folder.
(Don't use a Windows 95 startup floppy disk because it doesn't contain any generic CDROM drivers like a Windows 98 startup floppy disk does)

After you format the hard drive and restart and select CDROM support, insert the Windows 98 CD and start the setup process. During the setup process, you'll be advised that you're using an "upgrade" CD and that verification of a previous operating system is needed. Remove the Windows 98 CD and insert the Windows 95 CD, then browse to the b[]WIN95[/b] folder. Once the verification process is complete, reinsert the Windows 98 CD and continue setup.

When you receive a prompt to create a startup floppy disk, click "Cancel" and continue with setup. Don't remove the startup floppy disk that you previously inserted until just before the first reboot. The entire setup process should require 3 reboots and should take about 45 - 60 minutes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ohheck - I tried your suggestion, and it still just gets me to a SU-0013 error message right after I click yes to the license agreement during the set-up wizard portion.

flavallee - my Windows 98 floppy does have the Format.com file on it. But if I start setup with the windows 98 CDROM instead of the Windows95 CDROM it states that a Microsoft disc is required and won't let me go any further unless I put the 95 disc back in. Does this mean my 98 disc isn't good to do a clean install - if so, I don't mind starting out fresh with the Windows 95, but that just leads to the SU-0013 error.
I know I re-installed all this a few years back, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did back then!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
lookie what i found! :)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129971

also - win98 install just wants to "look at" your win95 cd to verify you have/had owned a previous version of windows- BUT i think if your windows 95 cd is just an upgrade disk rather than the full version you may not be able to continue win98 install-
im guessing you cant install win95 on you drive because it is the original version and wont install on a fat32 file system-
really you dont need to install 95 first - ive installed win98 from an upgrade disk on an empty hard drive many times

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
You need to insert the Windows 95 CD in there to show confirmation of a previous operating system, then you can continue setup with the Windows 98 CD.

I see no reason for running setup with Windows 95 first and then running setup with Windows 98. Besides taking much longer to get to where you want to go, it's going to leave a lot of Windows 95 stuff behind in that computer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for all the suggestions - I'm going to give them all a try and see what happens.
ohheck - I think you're right about the FAT32 file system - when I checked my partition wth the fdisk options it does show that I set it up with the Fat32 system, and from reading these threads I guess Windows95 won't install with the Fat32. I thought I would try changing it to a FAT16 (by pressing No when it asks if I want the large system during set up) - but it didn't change when I looked at the partition specs. I'd rather not install the Win95 first, as it will take up some extra room like flavallee said. My Win95 disk is definitely a full version, so I'd be interested in hearing the step-by-steps of how you installed the Win98 with an upgrade 98 disk on the empty hard drive, and in the meantime I'll try some of those options listed in the Microsoft link you posted.

flavallee - I guess I'm not exactly sure when I should change the Win95 disc to the Win98 disc during setup. I tried doing it after the Win95 setup wizard screen came on at a few points, but he Win98 disc just spun for a few minutes then stopped. Then I tried it during the MS-DOS part of starting up, just after typing "D:setup", and I think it wouldn't continue setting up after inserting the Win98 disc, although I can't remember exactly what the message was.
The other thing I wasn't sure if I did right was when you said a couple messages back about formatting with the Win98 startup disc with the Format.com file on it. Does that just mean starting up the computer with the floppy in or do I actually have to do the format command with the floppy in, which I didn't do the first time around?!
Thanks again for your time!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok HPFS error is saying Win needs Himem.exe for running scan disk
Also for a cd rom driver, 95 needs Mscdex
Win 98 will boot from the cd rom but it still needs Himem to be on C:

Good luck

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Once you've been prompted to insert the Windows 95 CD for verification purposes and have done so and have browsed to WIN95, another prompt should appear and tell you to reinsert the Windows 98 CD and continue setup.

I'll let someone else answer your HIMEM problem.

The original version of Windows 95 uses the FAT16 file system. Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98/98SE uses the FAT32 file system.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry for the confusion,,I was mistaken :p Doh

If you run into troubles, I recall win 95 needed Himem for setup. if you get a error saying you need it it is on your 98 start up disk. Sorry about the mix up..neeed sleeeeep

·
Registered
25 Posts
hmm, since this a 98se reinstall topic. I thought I could ask here.
im about to format this drive (w98) and install 98se. I jus backed up all the drivers on my comp.

Would I be able to go to my add/remove tab, make and use the startup disk to format and then install 98se?
or would going to that bootdisk.com be better off.

·
Registered
95 Posts
98 lets you make a new start up disk during installation.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
But unless the CD ROM is bootable (and not all of them are), I would make certain I had a bootable floppy that would let me access the CD ROM as well as have all the necessary files on it to format or do whatever needs to be done. Be a shame to format the drive first, stick in the CD ROM, and find out you can't boot to it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
yeah when you create a windows 98 startup disk through windows it will have everything you need to boot, format hard drive, and load cd rom drivers-

Oops - since you have 98 installed and want to upgrade to 98se might be better off d/l ing the win98se boot disk from bootdisk.com
:eek:

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
I have a section with instructions for creating a boot disk at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/floppies.htm

There is also the generic one which you can download and extract at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win98_img.exe

There are a lot of the DOS utilities there that don't normally get added when you make one from Win98. For example Diskcopy, Doskey, Format, More, Sys, Edit, Chkdsk, Deltree, Extract, Fdisk, Attrib, Label, Mem, Scandisk, Scanreg, Smartdrv and Xcopy.

Not only are there more utilities on there but it starts much faster since it doesn't have to create the RAM disk and then expand the cab file from the floppy to that RAM disk.

It automatically loads with support for a generic CD ROM and assigns it the drive letter of X:

There is also a CD ROM boot image you can download at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win_boot.iso

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.