Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
4,338 Posts
Good riddance, I say. I hate the Metro interface, and it still bothers me when I have to log into our remaining 2012 servers to see that. Thankfully, they'll be deprecated come October, 2023, and we're already looking to replace them.

·
Trusted Advisor
86,014 Posts
When I attended a reunion for my Vietnam War artillery unit in April 2014, the only computers available for use in the hotel were running Windows 8.1.
After being forced to use Windows 8.1 for several days, I developed a very strong dislike for it.
I stuck with Windows 7 until Windows 10 was released in July 2015.
Since that time, I've stuck with both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

·
Registered
908 Posts
When I used Windows 8 I made it tolerable by installing Classic Shell. This added a Windows 7 or XP start menu. Not as good as the original but still quite an improvement. It also allowed the computer boot into the Desktop mode instead the default Modern one. Windows 8.1 was an improvement but not as good as using the Classic Shell. When I found out I could freely upgrade to Windows 10 I did that.

BTW, during development of Windows 8 the tile-based start menu was called Metro design. However, when Windows 8 was release to the public the name had changed to Modern design. It was speculated that was related to a trademark infringement claim but Microsoft never admitted that.

Here are a couple screenshots I made back in June 2013.

Original Windows 8 Desktop mode. Note no traditional Windows Start button.

Flower Blue Sky Azure Plant

Windows 8 Desktop mode after Classic Shell installed. Note the added Start button.
Water Photograph Nature Azure Sky

·
Trusted Advisor
128,922 Posts

·
Administrator
124,121 Posts
I have 8.1 and use Classic Shell as well. That's one of the reasons I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because I won't be able to use Classic Shell and I'm sure I won't like the Desktop interface.

·
Trusted Advisor
128,922 Posts
I'm sure I won't like the Desktop interface.
Now, Cookie, if that doesn't sound like a defeatist attitude, I don't know what does! ;-)

At this point, as long as you are not going to like the new look, you might just as well go to Win11 so you won't have to change to something else you don't like in a couple more years ... ;-)

·
Super Moderator
20,018 Posts
I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because I won't be able to use Classic Shell
I do not remember when I started using Classic Shell but it worked on Windows 7 and when I updated to Windows 10 - that was the first I installed without any problems at all.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have 8.1 and use Classic Shell as well. That's one of the reasons I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because I won't be able to use Classic Shell and I'm sure I won't like the Desktop interface.
You should back up your computer and give Windows 10 a try. You might even like it. :) If you don't like it you could always go back to 8.1.

BTW, even though Classic Shell stopped being developed five years ago it has been superseded by Open Shell. Open Shell can even be used with Windows 10 and 11.

I forgot to mention this about Windows 8...

Microsoft had the hair brained idea that everyone needed one operating system that was common to computers, tablets, and phones. Windows 8 was designed for devices with a touch screen. For example, with a laptop with a touchscreen you could use it like a phone with the same type of touches and swipes. For a desktop or laptop without a touchscreen you could used mouse swipes and other motions to get the same results as what you got with a touchscreen.

People that were used to using computers found this cumbersome and rejected this Modern design.

In Windows 10 the Modern design's Live Tiles are still there but are relegated to the Start menu.

In Windows 11 the Live Tiles are missing. However, you can bring them back by going to the Microsoft Store and getting the Live Tiles Anywhere app.

·
Trusted Advisor
128,922 Posts
In Windows 10 the Modern design's Live Tiles are still there but are relegated to the Start menu.
And that's the first thing I get rid of when I install Win10! My Start menu is pared down to a Win7-like format ...

·
Trusted Advisor
128,922 Posts
I don't think my hardware would support it or at least not the TPM.
I thought you were talking about getting a new system recently ...

·
Trusted Advisor
128,922 Posts
Do you guys have Black Friday there, too?

·
Trusted Advisor
128,922 Posts
Might find a good deal there?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts