Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba laptop here that had a virus. I removed its hard disk, connected it to another computer as a secondary drive and used Microsoft Security Essentials to scan for and remove infections. It deleted about a half dozen files in the Program Data folder and reported also deleting another virus located at \boot\ (and the rest of that path and virus name, I don't remember). I do remember it identified all infections as Trojans.

When I finished, I put the drive back into the laptop and all I get now is a blinking cursor. I attempted repair from the Windows 7 installation disk; but, it doesn't offer me any "which installation of Windows do you want to repair" message. I have read if that message doesn't appear, Windows can't fix it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Why did you remove the drive to scan it?
The easiest solution might be to save your files and reinstall Windows.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I know the way around that; but, that way is usually very involved and time-consuming. This is only the second time in about a year that my method failed me so considering the time and mental straining saved on dozens of other systems where it did work, I figure I'm still ahead of the game.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now, what I'm looking for is a way to restore its ability to boot. If I can't, I have another solution that has worked in this situation before: Do an image of the Windows partition (drive C), do a system recovery, then do a restore from the image.

That worked the last time this happened; but, the image of this will probably be in the range of 80 Gigs so I am looking for a quicker way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.