Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
System
Windows 2000 Server, Amd Athalon.

I am getting an error that states the follwing:

SvcHost.exe : Error Message Tiotile bar
Description
The instruction at 0x546tyh78 <some address> referenced memory 0x0000000. The memory could not be read.

When I log in the system is pretty slow and i repetitively get these errors.

I Cannot access the "Task Manager" by either the Control + Alt +delete option or by right clicking the application bar.

PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was unable to run them as Mc Cafee would not run.
Also I did get couple of pop up saying that Mc afee has found a virus Please scan your system.
However how do I get to launch the Mc Cafee Application/Anti virus ?
PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot access anything now.
Cannot launch any application.
Errors out that and application error has occured be it winsip or ie or any other excutable.

In fact this is what the error states
SvcHost.exe : Error Message Titile bar
Description
The instruction at 0x546tyh78 <some address> referenced memory 0x0000000. The memory could not be WRITTEN (not READ).

PLEASE HELP...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 hard drives on the same computer...and they are independent of each other..as of now...it was a back up drive hardly used...now I am using it as my main drive and the previous one has been disconnected..

My question is :
Can I still use the old one as a slave with the new one and run a virus scan on it?
How do i put it in the Slave configuration?
If its a slave on the same computer will my new hard drive not get affected if the old one has a virus?

Thanks you very much for your prompt response...and PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Let's assume that drive C: is the drive you are having problems with and drive D: is the backup drive with is free of trouble.

Disconnect C: - be sure that D: has an up to date antivirus on it. There are jumpers on the back of the hard drives; if you pull the drive from the computer case you should see a legend on the top of the drive with the (slave - master - cable select options).
Set D: as the Master, boot up (the drive may now show as C:). If all is well - set the C: problem drive as 'slave' and connect it (the drive may now be named D or F or what ever). Reboot and run a full scan on both drives just to be safe.

IOW, if you have a fully fuctional antivirus on the good drive, you should be all set as far as the other drive not getting infected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks unbidden for the reply .
I did make the infected drive as the slave and ran a virus scan onto it...cleant about 39 viruses..however after I log in...it still takes a lot of time to show me the desktop and i cannot run any application. I do get some errormessages and cannot access the task manager not by right clicking or by CTRl+ALt+Del key.
What do I need to do next?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Did you also run spyware scans when the drive was slaved?

An inplace install may be of help to repair what has been damaged. Check this link. It's a bit lenthy, but has a graphic tutorial on the inplace install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.