Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, my computer crashed. When I rebooted, I got a message saying that there was an error loading explore.exe, so I would need to reinstall windows. The boot disk for win98 did not work, so I tried the win2000 cd that I had. Everything went fine up until I realized that all the settings were wrong and I couldn't connect to the internet to install any of the drivers for my programs. How do I reverse this? I can't do much of anything on my computer now, and I don't want to have to choose which OS I want to run everytime I boot up, so how do I get rid of win98 and configure my computer to how it was before I crashed?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already tried that but I cannot even get to the prompt where it says, "Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files". I try to put in the path of my cd-rom drive, but I keep getting an "bad command or file name" message. I borrowed a boot disk from a friend and it is for Dell systems, and I don't know if that has anything to do with the malfunction, since I don't have a Dell system.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I have found a normal win98 cd, but I still cannot get windows to start up...I don't want to reformat my computer's hard drive and lose all my data, because I have not backed up everything. I have tried creating a bootdisk through ms-dos, but I was unsuccessful; I got an invalid directory message. I followed the directions on the microsoft site for starting win98 through the cd-rom, but I still get a black screen of an ms-dos program and a message that says that explorer.exe has done an illegal action (fault 0810:0142). What are my options?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.