Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologise if this question has already been posted. I did search here for an answer, but could not find one.

I have a brand new computer at work with a 22 inch flatscreen monitor running on Windows XP. For some reason the windows on internet connections are way too large.This is also true of software that is not run through the net - eg microsoft word etc.

The width of the screen is so big it needs a scrollbar. The size varies. On most sites it needs an extra 10-15cm

I have tried to lower the resolution but the general resolution is already set at its lowest.

If I customise the DPI setting, it simply makes the font smaller and harder to read, and graphics a lower quality - the window size remains the same.

Is there a way I can fix this problem?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Have you clicked

View - Zoom

View - Text Size

and made adjustments there for viewing webpages?

---------------------------------------------------------------

LCD monitors should be set at their native resolution so you don't get a washed-out color quality. You can then make adjustments in font and text size to suit you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
983 Posts
It is outrageous that coders do not use a liquid layout and are coding their markup for massive sized displays. This can't be a mistake or an oversight in my opinion because if you look at the expertise of their markup, you can see they know very well what they are doing and can't be lacking this simple piece of knowledge that allows compatibility so to speak.

Since I enjoy being the paranoid type, I like to think there is come conspiracy involved between the top popular site owners or professional for hire coders and these massive display manufacturers to purposely do this in exchange for some type of material reward because people will get sick of constant scrolling right and left just to read the text of a news story and go buy one of those massive displays that really can't be put anywhere except mounted on the wall.

The most popular screen sizes as of April 2009 are here:

http://r-rwebdesign.com/blog/?p=600

1024 X 768 is one step above 800 X 800. I even notice that Win XP Pro only shares 3 of the most popular resolutions on the list, 800 X 600, 1024 X 768 and 1280 X 1024.

On my machine, even with NVIDIA, if I attempt any custom resolution I get a waring that this could cause hardware damage so I don't risk that.

So it seems that these monitors come with their own video card and software to run them but that part is only what a friend said.

The big problem I see with these huge displays is that they are not squares like conventional CRT monitors. They are rectangles.

The only solution I have found to your question is to buy one of those massive sized monitors or use dual CRT monitors that way both the browser and the web page occupy both screens.

I have tried and tried to force webpages to collapse to fit the browser window but it just doesn't work for some reason.

On the sites that my efforts do work on only creates more problems because it does fit the screen but all the site content is piled on top of each other like an html table job gone bad..

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
It's almost impossible to find a large LCD monitor that's not a wide-screen rectangular model. When I bought 2 - 22" wide-screen LCD monitors to replace my 17" and 19" CRT monitors, it took me awhile to set them up to my liking and to get used to them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I have tried to lower the resolution but the general resolution is already set at its lowest.
You need to increase the resolution.

But as flavallee has already stated, it should be set to the monitors native resolution and refresh rate.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
The native resolution of my HP 22" wide-screen LCD monitor is 1680 X 1050, but yours might be a little different. The owner's manual should tell you what it is for yours.

You're going to need to experiment with the font and text size until you find what's right for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
The native resolution of my HP 22" wide-screen LCD monitor is 1680 X 1050, but yours might be a little different. The owner's manual should tell you what it is for yours.

You're going to need to experiment with the font and text size until you find what's right for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ditto for my 20" HP wide-screen LCD.

A small box appears at top of screen stating what native resolution is when I turn it on.

Maybe OPs' does as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.