Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

winamp vs. CDDB

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Sportacus 
#1 ·
When I installed Win2k pro. my soundcard would no longer work and I found on the net that there was no driver available for w2k.
I bought a soundblaster 16 which is good enough for my purposes but it has a problem. Each time a CD song comes up there is a window that comes up saying DCCB is solving problems.
CDDB is the problem. the song won't play until I close the CDDB window. This happens on each song on the CD. GRRRRR.

How can I disable this.

#2 ·
CDDB is an online service (free) that comes with WinAmp. What it does is pull some #'s off your CD and look it up in the online database so it can display the song names to you. Sounds like you're having trouble accessing the server and it's making WinAmp wait. I don't have WinAmp installed right now or I'd tell you where to look, but I know there's an option somewhere to prevent CDDB lookups when you insert a CD.
Good luck!

#5 ·
WinAmp kinda hides the pull downs from you - very "nonstandard" - you just right-click on the player somewhere where it's not a button and a context menu pops up with all the features and configuration stuff.
To get to the spot to disable lookups and the mini-browser, do the following:
  1. Right-click somewhere
  2. Select Options/Preferences from the context menu
  3. Look in the middle of the window and click the radio button next to "No Internet Connection Available"
    [/list=1]
    Let us know if that doesn't do it, but don't give up on WinAmp - of the players I've tried, it's by far the best and most flexible. I'm sure it's possible to make it stop giving you trouble.
    KT

#6 ·
Well, I didn't try that. What I had tried to do was get it off my startup because W2k takes forever to load. It said it wouldn't delete it but apparently it did, because I can't find it. I went to their website to download it again and it won't let me. when I click download it takes me to a page that it says I have no business viewing. Guess I'll just put the cd in and try to install from there. Maybe I can leave CDDB off of the install.

Thanks,
Sport.

BTW I read the article....Some baby.

#7 ·
whuh?
You tried to download it and it said WHAT?

Something screwy going on here, I've never had any problem with WinAmp downloads. Are you up to date with virus protection?

#10 ·
Hey heres what you do you right click and go to visualization, select plug in, it will bring up a window, select input, then on the right you will see somthin that says, nulsoft cd/linein plug in v1.71`double click it and you will se the option to use cddb, uncheck it and your good to go

Good Luck, ertech

#11 ·
I was successful in downloading the full version tonight. The CDDB pops up and goes away when I'm not on line and lets the CD go ahead and play. The popup window looks different than the one I had originally, so it must be an improved version. I't works offline like I want it to, so I won't have to disable it.

Thanks guys for hanging with me, your were all a lot of help.

Sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.