Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4+ year old home built machine after numerous reinstalls of win98se will not complete the setup or as such " re-setup of Win98se " at this time on my machine. The set-up hangs up at the "checking the drives......."window. The reason for my reinstall is the hope that I could eliminate the problem of boot up, of the system is only able to run in a16 color low resolution mode.
( please note to get to this point I booted from the recover disk loaded my 98 upgrade, which also was locked in the low des mode, then from windows 98, I attempted to reload win 98se.)
My system a amd 233with 48 meg ram 12 gig He my video card is a 4meg 2d pci .
Any suggestions of a plan of attack.?

Thanx

Toner11
Www.tonerecycle.com

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
toner11: A few things come to mind...First, when was the last time you ran a clean scan disk & defrag on the pc?
Second, as to the 16 color mode, on your recover CD, are there any Folders with Drivers? Often there are Sub-Folders, which in your case, you would be looking for Video Drivers.

Please Advise!

Thanx!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to :JewisHeritage
I did a scandisk as a part of the previous install (reinstall of 98 last night.) the DEFRAG, thats another story maybe a month or two ago.
Thanx for the feed back, I will look for video drivers tonight when I can get to my machine.

Thanx

Toner11 (a.k.a joe bell)
www.tonerecycle.com

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Has your video problem just recently started?

If so, you may be able to do a scanreg /restore at a c: prompt....

Boot to dos, at the c: prompt type:

scanreg /restore
(space after the g)
and hit enter

choose a date prior to the video problem, but not #5......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the input
I think the defrag and scan disk cleared things up after I got rid of Norton systems works and viraScan ( temporarily). I have reloaded win98SE. ( must have wiped out or I could not see the registry versions due to my attempts to load Win98)

Now I can get back to my original plan , building my replacement machine.
Any suggestions on an operating system?

best regards
Toner11
www.tonerecycle.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.