Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone

i thought i'd install linux on my pc, and i had 2 empty partitions, so using partitionMagic5, i deleted thos partitions and moved the other ones to free the space at the end of the disc. ok, so i didn't install linux, but now, win2000 starts up, lets me log in and says 'no swap space, please setup your swap files by right-clicking on ....etc.', and right after that message, i get taken back to the login screen.

has anyone got any idea of how to repair this? thx alot guys,

Abdul-Kareem Abo-Namous

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok now i think i have pinpointed my problem: after recreating the two deleted partitions, no 'swap file missing' message anymore, but after login i am immediatly resent to login. i think this is because my user profile was on drive L:\ (the win2k drive) which is now drive M:\ (after the whole partitioning misery), and can't be found by the system. so what i need is to remap those drive names to be correct, but alas, how without being able to get into w2k?

thankful for any kinda help, cya

Abdul-Kareem Abo-Namous

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
You can change your drive letter assignments in start/settings/control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management But I have never done it so beware.

·
Super Moderator
46,574 Posts
Have you tried to boot into safe mode? I do not know if you can reassign drive letters in safe mode. If it is possible in safe mode, assigning drive letters is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had the same exact problem where you end up in an endless loop (thanks MS !) of password, error, password, error, and so on.

My problem was caused by using a smart bay with a 2nd Win2K hard drive while having the original Win2K drive in the laptop at the same time.

I fixed this problem using FDISK /MBR

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS COULD CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS THAN IT FIXES SINCE YOUR SITUATION IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN MINE (EVEN THOUGH THE PROBLEM IS THE SAME).

I have no clue what effect using the above command will have on your other partitions if they already have data or other OS'es on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.