Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Last week I had to use my laptop. When I got to windows it had a message telling me that windows was not Genuine. I did a check and Microsoft said it was not valid.
Given the fact that at the time I did not know it was hacked or could have been, I just closed it and began back on my desktop which is my main computer. This also is a wireless network.

Tonight I did a reboot and the same thing happened with my desktop. I again went to microsoft and again the told me the key was invalid for this part of the country whatever that means. This desktop was bought at a computer show a couple years ago and has been dam good to me. It is a Dell. I don't know what to do. Someone told me about a keyfinder but I don't want to do anything until someome advises me.

As far as the laptop I will have to go look for the discs.

Also am I going to lose my data and is it still safe to do a backup? So far my computer is showing no viruses, although it is running really slow. I did try to move my documents into my back up drive and it asked me to pput in a disc. It has no pace for a disc?????That in itself confuses me. I also don't want to copy these files onto my back up drive if there is some sort of virus not being picked up. I am using Risen as an antivirus.
I need advice please.
Thank you kali

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi Kal, Have you had Windows on those computer long? If so, then I would say you have either a virus or a hacker who needs his/her @*( kicked. I don't however, see how Microsoft can tell you that it is fake if it has been on a computer for quite a while. I am curious to hear what all of these talented guys here have to say.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it is becoming a problem with many people having the same thing happen to their computers. It tells me that my win xp is not leagal and they are. The desktop was from s computer show and I've had it two or three years. The laptop was the one I fried and the kid that fixed it went through dell. Anyway I just need to know what to do. I did the check with microsoft and they say too it is not legal. I know they are because I checked myself when I got the desktop, not to mention all the updates and also every once in a while I used to get a message to check to see if it was valid and I did and it was..
thanks for any info. I've been told that hackers are getting through computers and stealing the keys. No viruses and I use risen which I now find out is chineese and I am not being discriminatory. But it seems to work well and offers a lot more than others and it's free. Until someone tells me other wise to get rid of it I'll stay with it.
kali

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again,
Someone brought this up to me last night.
Given the fact that it is happening to other people, when you go to this microsoft site, it tells you "you have an invalid copy of microsoft for this part of the country" What the hell does that mean? Supposing I moved lol

Anyway they ask you if you would like to purchase a "Genuine" copy for $149.00. Then if you do you leave a credit card number. I am wondering if this site is a fake microsoft site.
There are fake ebay sites pay pal and even my server emailed us to say there was a fake site of theirs. Using a comuter anymore just is not enjoying and I am about ready to shut off the internet and play dumb games. Anyway how do "I" know that "THERE" site is genuine.
thank you
kali

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I hate to say it, but I have seen numerous computer repair shops that, instead of using the machine's actual key, use something else. For example, I just bought a cheap box from a tech shop that was activated with a key different from the label on the case.

What happens when you try to update using the product keys from the labels that should be attached to the outside of the computer case?

BTW, there are different versions of Windows that are valid only in certain parts of the globe. XP N version comes immediately to mind. Perhaps your machine has one.

You can likely trust their site by browsing to it directly rather than clicking on a link: microsoft.com. Better yet, use their IP address: 207.46.197.32

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I did the check with microsoft and they say too it is not legal.
Exactly how did you perform this check with Microsoft? Also
Anyway they ask you if you would like to purchase a "Genuine" copy for $149.00. Then if you do you leave a credit card number. I am wondering if this site is a fake microsoft site.
Have you visited this MS link?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, Here's the story so far. I did not want you to think I did not go to your link which is very informative and I think you.

I need to know ...we are wireless and *#*'s are being used on the main users pc. Is this thing jumping from pc to pc and would it have the ability to get into the other users PC seeing that it went from my laptop to my desktop.
Also within the past half hour my pc is now lagging as if it is running out of memory. No matter what I click on, scroll, minimize, send, copy anything there is a 5 sec to 17 second lag. The site you sent was very informative and maybe it should be highlited in all areas or a warning to others who may not read this post.
Thanking you but need to continue with reply's. OH there was nothing in my computers regarding SS and all that, Passwords yeah. I'll check again though. My screen is still black and I still have the nag screen that is irritating at the corner of my screen telling me I may be a victim. I have no idea how to undo what they did. If they changed the numbers and I don't have them then I am in one hell of a situation.

Oh also this happned to some other guy. He told me the only way to fix it was to go to magical jelly bean to find the key. I did and it was easy and it found a key. Problem is I don't know if it is the one the hackers replaced or the genuine one.

This particular person also posted an email and a pic from someone from Kenya. Within a day or two this happened to me also. He claims his is fixed by using jelly bean. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I need to know ...we are wireless and *#*'s are being used on the main users pc.
I have no idea what you're saying here.

Does your laptop have a COA sticker on the bottom with a Product Key? Does your desktop have a COA sticker on the side or back with a Product Key?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the product key for the desktop. I just found it. The laptop software is in anothr area of the house that I cannot go into just yet as we had a flood. So that computer will have to be on hold. Meanwhile this desktop is doing the same thing. Telling me that the key is not valid. I'll try again when I get nack and I will answer the other reply.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dorian the only answer I can give is the same as I said to curly. But shouldn't there be a place in windows that has the number? But here is the other problem,
The way this thing is supposed to work is that the hacker comes in and hacks your number and then replaces it with another number. So no matter what, if that is what happened the numbers wil not match. That's an if.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.