Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am unable to use my Windows 98 computer because of the following:

1) Prior to the "crash" my screen resolution was set to 1024 x 768. Now, after windows 98 loads the screen resolution is set to 640 x 480.

2) None of the menus (start, file, etc) are visible because only the center of the screen is being displayed in the 640 x 480 area.

3) I cannot right-click to get any screen setting menus.

4) When scandisk loads I get one error that says "invalid long filename entry," and it cannot be repaired.

5) After Windows loads I get an error "Explorer: this program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down."

This Win 98 install is an upgrade from Win 95. I don't want to lose my data-- is there any way to do a non-destructive install from an upgrade disc? Or, is there any way to change screen resolution from DOS?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can also try using the controls on your monitor (not your computer) to lower your monitor to a lower resolution so that you can see the entire screen as well.

--Helpr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks golferbob and helpr--

Unfortunately I can't access my control panel because I cannot access any of the menus because they are outside of the 640x480 display area. The computer thinks the resolution is 1024x768, but for some reason only 640x480 is being displayed. My monitor does not have any settings to change the output resolution. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.