Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
4,031 Posts
Make and model of Motherboard please.
Click on Start and in the search box that pops up type in system information
On the screen that pops up we want system Manufacturer and system model.(Pic Attached)
Technically it does not have to be Port 0 and port 1.
Rectangle Font Art Magenta Brand

·
Trusted Advisor
4,031 Posts
ok your ports are 1 & 2 - it does not really matter as you can set them in bios.
But if you want put win 7 port 1 win 10 port 2
Boot to win 7 and get what you need off win 10 drive - Just incase.
Reboot with both drives attached and try to repair win 10 install - or reinstall win 10.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If the ports don't matter, than why tell me to put win 7 in port 1 and etc.? Your pic doesn't tell me anything or should it? BTW, I have tried repair a half dozen times and all options offered and none work, the way i have it set up now. Are u suggesting to take what data i need from win 10 and move them to win 7? If u are, how is this done when Win 10 is not available? I see I got an earlier response from you...did u come to the USA, ha,ha. Welcome!!

·
Trusted Advisor
4,031 Posts
If the ports don't matter, than why tell me to put win 7 in port 1
It just keeps things neat. But as I said not essential
Your pic doesn't tell me anything or should it
It shows where port 1 & 2 are.
Are u suggesting to take what data i need from win 10 and move them to win 7? If u are, how is this done when Win 10 is not available?
If win 10 does not boot makes no difference. You should still be able to see the drive in explorer from win 7.
Click on start, Click on computer. Can you see the win 10 drive?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It just keeps things neat. But as I said not essential

It shows where port 1 & 2 are.

If win 10 does not boot makes no difference. You should still be able to see the drive in explorer from win 7.
Click on start, Click on computer. Can you see the win 10 drive?
In your display pic the closest i could see sata info is at Arrow point 12, where there are 3 box's shown and if that is the area, i do not see anything that says port 1 or 2. Could u point it out to me?

Yes, i forgot, i do see win 10 under computer as it is marked drive F, while viewing it from win 7. Its been awhile, but i believe the data that i would like to save were mostly listed on win 10 desktop. I could not find that folder when i checked it in Explorer. Perhaps, that is where the corruption started.

·
Trusted Advisor
4,031 Posts
12 is port 1 & Port 2. The way they put it it looks like port 12(Twelve).
On windows 10(F) go to users/yourname/desktop

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
12 is port 1 & Port 2. The way they put it it looks like port 12(Twelve).
On windows 10(F) go to users/yourname/desktop
There seems to be some misunderstanding here in regard to sata ports. I have the manual and shows that layout that you depicted here. The arrow pointing as 12 is not port 1 and 2, its a description shown on the following page. That page says on line 12, and I am quoting..."Sata 6.0 Gb/s connectors (Sata6G_1-6). By that i assume there are 6 ports, but i could not find anywhere in the manual is Port 1 or any Port number. With my magnify glass, i do see written in very tiny test for the top of those 3 squares, again quoting, "Sata6G_12,Sata6G_34,Sata6G_56". So how can one identify port 1,2 and etc.?

·
Trusted Advisor
4,031 Posts
Ok Don't worry about port 1&2 - We can set main one in bios.
Get all the data you need off Win 10.
Download the Win 10 install media tool
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
Reinstall win 10 - If you have all the data do a fresh install.
Make sure you have all your win 10 data backed up / copied as a fresh install will loose everything on
the win 10 drive. (Make sure you pick the correct drive)

"Sata6G_12,Sata6G_34,Sata6G_56
Sata6G 12 are ports 1 & 2 Sata6G 34 are ports 3&4 Sata6G are ports 5&6

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ok Don't worry about port 1&2 - We can set main one in bios.
Get all the data you need off Win 10.
Download the Win 10 install media tool
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
Reinstall win 10 - If you have all the data do a fresh install.
Make sure you have all your win 10 data backed up / copied as a fresh install will loose everything on
the win 10 drive. (Make sure you pick the correct drive)

Sata6G 12 are ports 1 & 2 Sata6G 34 are ports 3&4 Sata6G are ports 5&6
I've been in the process of doing just that and its going take a couple of days. I still have the 'tool' usb drive, in fact that is the one i have been using to see if i could repair win 10 and it did not help. So I should leave Win 7 as is on the sata hdrive. After copying my data to it, delete win 10 and reinstall win 10 on the ssd drive. ..so during this process both hd's could be connected?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've been in the process of doing just that and its going take a couple of days. I still have the 'tool' usb drive, in fact that is the one i have been using to see if i could repair win 10 and it did not help. So I should leave Win 7 as is on the sata hdrive. After copying my data to it, delete win 10 and reinstall win 10 on the ssd drive. ..so during this process both hd's could be connected?
Phew!!! Its been a hard couple of days of saving data from Win 10, and hopefully I got all i wanted. I formatted the Win 10 ( F: drive ). Tomorrow i hope to reinstall Win 10 on the new SSD drive. I finally saw when u were telling me that 1 & 2 are that first bottom box, the fact that they didn't separate 1 & 2 and showed it as 12, didn't help. How does one know which one is #1? Is the top slot or the bottom?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
"I installed 2 SSD drives in my PC.
One SSD was connected to the SATA-0 port.
The other SSD was connected to the SATA-1 port.
""" This what Frank did for his setup. Now, i am getting confused again. if there are 6 ports as we discussed, that would be 1 to 6, so where is port "0" ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OK..another snafu...Like I said i formatted the "F" win 10 hd and booted to the media tool. First, it asks for a product key...I recall when i first installed Win 10, I entered my Win 7 PK and it worked, but this time it did not accept it. Then it asked me if i want to keep files and etc of Win 10, and being i don't have Win 10, i chose the other option which if i recall correctly was an upgrade, which in turn it denied me that too. The message i got was "Upgrade option not available. If you start using windows installation Media. If a copy of Windows is already on this pc and you want to upgrade, remove installation Media and restart pc. After windows started normally, insert installation Media and run Windows setup." I don't understand...I thought they were giving Win 10 freely, all of a sudden they're asking for PK's? BTW, i did change ports...i moved the SSD to P1 ( bottom ) by your suggestion and sata ( win 7 ) P2 above it, and yet when i look at my Bios boot tab, it shows Win 7 as P1, and SSD win 10 as P2.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
This is an addition to my above statement. I found out a problem i had was that the creation tool says that my hd is mbr and should be gpt. Now maybe that is the reason it was corrupted? Anyhow a youtube showed a way to convert a hd from mbr to gpt and it did not work for me. During the process we are suppose to press simultanesly the Shift + F10 and a small pgm appears where u convert it. Now this was dated the year 2012. Anyhow those keys did nothing on my keyboard.

·
Trusted Advisor
4,031 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
First, it asks for a product key
First it asks for Upgrade or Custom Install. If you do not have win10 installed, then you choose Custom.
You chose Upgrade. To do an upgrade, you need to boot to Windows 10, then run Windows Setup on the Windows 10 Install USB. Since you 'don't have Win 10', do a Custom (aka Clean) install, delete all partitions on the appropriate drive (if there are any AND you don't need the data on them) then let windows create what it needs (by clicking Next).

When it asks for a product key, click the link that says I do not have one.

You will need to choose the correct edition (Home or Pro). Choose whichever you had before.

During Windows Setup, Shift + F10 will bring up Command Prompt. This only works during Windows Setup. If you are on a laptop, you may need to press Fn+Shift+F10, as the function keys could work differently based on a BIOS setting.

See this link that was already posted for how to convert mbr to gpt:

It is not usually necessary to do this via Command Prompt when doing a clean install, as Windows Setup will convert to gpt automatically as long as you are booted in UEFI mode and installing to an empty drive.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
First it asks for Upgrade or Custom Install. If you do not have win10 installed, then you choose Custom.
You chose Upgrade. To do an upgrade, you need to boot to Windows 10, then run Windows Setup on the Windows 10 Install USB. Since you 'don't have Win 10', do a Custom (aka Clean) install, delete all partitions on the appropriate drive (if there are any AND you don't need the data on them) then let windows create what it needs (by clicking Next).

My post #35 explains that I went through all of those options and am stopped by either it cannot be done because of the hd shows MBR.

When it asks for a product key, click the link that says I do not have one.

You will need to choose the correct edition (Home or Pro). Choose whichever you had before.

During Windows Setup, Shift + F10 will bring up Command Prompt. This only works during Windows Setup. If you are on a laptop, you may need to press Fn+Shift+F10, as the function keys could work differently based on a BIOS setting.

I failed at that too...Shift + F10 had no effect from my keyboard. No need for FN cause this is a desktop.

See this link that was already posted for how to convert mbr to gpt:

Before using microsoft creation tool i formatted the hd and for some reason it did not get rid of the MBR. I don't see the link mentioned above...if its the command prompt during the setup, again i tried that shift + F10 and nothing appeared.

It is not usually necessary to do this via Command Prompt when doing a clean install, as Windows Setup will convert to gpt automatically as long as you are booted in UEFI mode and installing to an empty drive.
Well for some reason, having done all of that, windows setup did not convert to gpt automatically...that is why i tried the Shift + F10.

21 - 40 of 157 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.