Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have ordered a new Dell computer and it's come with the 32-bit version of Windows XP Professional. I have selected to recieve an Express Upgrade to Windows Vista 64-bit edition. The processor inside the computer is a Intel duo core which I found out is 64-bit and the version of Vista that Dell will be sending me is 64-bit they said.

My question is... I have all 32-bit programs on my computer. Except 2 or 3 of my programs are Vista Ready.. the rest are all 32-bit. So what I'd like to know is if my 32-bit programs that are compatible with Windows XP 32-bit will work in 64-bit Windows Vista? I have heard that they will because it would be "reverse compatible" and I've also heard I can use a compatibility wizard found in Vista.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I was considering upgrading to windows XP 64bit edition until I heard that 32bit programs/games won't work. Is this no longer an issue?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The 64 bit version will have a number of shortcomings in the device driver area. Many older devices will not have 64 bit compatibile drivers, you need to consider that in your upgrade plans.

I originally installed the 64 bit version, but I couldn't find AV products and device drivers for my equipment, so I dropped back to the 32 bit version.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.