Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Vista Ultimate Upgrade disc to get rid of the Windows 7 RC 32-bit. Since 7 is newer, they say it won't work, but I've heard from two sources that booting from BIOS would overwrite 7. Is this true? I don't care if it cleans my HD, I already backed up.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
What is "booting from BIOS"?

I doubt you can "upgrade" Windows 7 to Vista.

Assuming you have a valid Windows Vista product key I think you can just fresh install by booting your new installation DVD in the normal way. If not, just install your original Vista and then upgrade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't. My manufactuar is crappy and didn't include a restore disc. This computer had Vista Home Premium 32-bit. If I used a recovery disc to get back to Vista Home Premium, would the Ultimate Upgrade still work even though it's not an anytime upgrade?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
If your manufacturer is legitimate they included a Recovery partition or Recovery disks. "Recovering" that way is the equivalent (more or less) of installing Vista.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I just found out that this computer has some software to restore factory settings. Even though the disc I ordered isn't an anytime upgrade, will it still install even though It will have Premium?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have never specfically tried what you asking, so I cannot say it it will work. But I do not think it will. Upgrades require you to progress upward in the version scheme. Going from Windows 7 to Vista is a downgrade, so it will require a full installation. And can an upgrade disk be used to perform a full installation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.