Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, recently, my laptop only, is disconnecting from the router, no over laptop or PC is disconnecting and is staying connected all the time. Although mine keeps diconnecting every 20-odd minutes. I've changed channels, reset router - it's my laptop if no other laptop or anything is diconnecting

my laptop is: Dell Inspirion 1721

router is:

netgear N model: WNDR3300

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I assume wireless. Do you have the same problem with ethernet?

Make sure you have the latest driver; if it is an integrated adapter the driver should be from Dell's web site.

What OS?

What do you have to do to get reconnected? What, if any, non-Windows firewall or security suite do you have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am on Vista home.

On Dell's website, i'm not 100% what driver i need.

To be reconnected i have to wait for it to do itself, it won't let me manually re-connect.

I have McAfee security :)

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Top suspect is multiple wireless clients running; they will conflict, and one of the troubles they can cause is what you are reporting. Candidates include

XP's Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC);
Dell WLAN;
one named for your wireless adapter (e.g., Intel Proset).

The first two run as services--check their status in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, yes we do have quite alot of wireless items connected to the router.

My wireless card model things: WIRELESS DELL 1395 (802.B/G) MINI CARD F

I can only find the Dell wireless adapter, i cannot find the other..

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Nuts! That directed squarely at me, myself, I! :(

You clearly said that you have Vista and somehow I'm thinking XP. So please forget my post # 4.

Did you find the correct wireless driver yet? Do you have the same problem with ethernet?

If ethernet works OK, try stopping the Dell WLAN and see if that makes a difference. I have no idea if this will help; it may make things worse, but then you can easily restart it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.