Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I use Norton System Doctor (Version 5.02.32) to monitor my computer system and it always indicates that my RAM load is full (90% and above). I just upgraded my RAM from 64MB to 128MB because of this problem but it still happens. This even happens when I do not have any programs running. What is happening? Is it a software bug or is there something wrong with my RAM/hardware? Please help!

Henry

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
It is not a problem unless you are using Win95. Win95 would cache all of the RAM and wouldn’t give it back when programs needed it. Win98 and above will give the RAM back when it is needed by programs.

What Windows is doing is caching information in RAM so you don’t have to retrieve the info from the HD which is much slower. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Don’t mess with it unless you are using Win95.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
amb4809: Did you bother to read my post? With 64Mb RAM you should almost never have unused RAM. Windows is using it to cache information it thinks you might need. If you need the RAM the cache will dump instantly to provide the RAM. You don’t have a problem and Norton is reading correctly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Slipe (a.k.a. Wayne if I remember right). Thanks a lot for the advice. I run Windows 98. Why is it that by late afternoon, after running my computer for about 6 hours, I notice that it's running slower and I sometimes get an error message along the lines of 'not enough memory'? Also, should I dump Norton System Doctor? Is it a good program to use or is it worthless?

Henry

PS. Slipe: Thank you also for your post in VirtualDr! I am replying to your post there. Check it out!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
You need to go to Tools on your IE & click Internet Options & then
on temporary internet files click delete files & when the second window comes up put a check in the box to delete Internet temps also.

This will help keep the cache cleaned out & a reboot will bring back more memory as well.

Savvy :)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
yea I do... you really need more RAM... its cheaper now than ever.. should go ahead & get it before it gets more costly.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
go to My Computer & right click on it then go to properties/performance... it will tell you what % you are using of RAM... that has little to do with resources though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
any idea on how I could get my sound to work again?It was fine the other day but now it says I have no audio chip.I have intel celeron with on board audio chip(motherboard is GA-6wmm).

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
reinstall the drivers... in device manager.
this is not my forte ... you should post this in the forum .

"All Other Softwear"

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
So you are running the sysytem on 38 MB's of RAM... I am surprised you don't get booted to a blue screen

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
yea knock on wood!

ok... see ya anoither time in the forum then.

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
It's not normal for you computer to run slowly after being on for only 6 hours, and receiving low memory errors is definitely not normal. I leave my computer on all the time. Sometimes I only reboot once a week, and I've never experienced performance problems or memory errors. You probably have something running in the background that's not properly releasing memory.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.