Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I upgraded my internet to XFinity. Everything seemed to be working fine, but today I noticed it was incredibly slow. I took a speedtest a few minutes ago, and here were my results.

That's NOT the speed I'm paying for. My package included up to 150 Mbps download speeds, and what I got during the test was a joke, hardly any better than the DSL I upgraded from.

However, I downloaded the speedtest app on my phone and took it with the same settings and from the same location (both my phone and computer test were done over wifi, no cables). My results from the phone test were 24 Ping, 42.76 Mbps download, 12.09 Mbps upload. Still not what I'm paying for, but a TON better.

So I'm wondering how to improve the speed on my computer, because I know based on the test I took on my phone that my internet can hit much higher speeds.

·
Super Moderator
65,959 Posts
Sometimes the speed varies for the first few days - at least it does for BT infinity

However, connect to the router directly with a cable and speedtest with a cable connection

Reactions: CameraMan305

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes the speed varies for the first few days - at least it does for BT infinity

However, connect to the router directly with a cable and speedtest with a cable connection
I might have to try that. Looks like I'll be buying lots of cord and running it along my wall though, because the room with the computer I use isn't very close to the modem, haha.

·
Deceased Moderator Gone but never forgotten
82,272 Posts
For that test were both computer and phone using the same wireless network (either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz)?

Do you have the latest correct wireless driver on the computer?

·
Trusted Advisor
17,603 Posts
Because the computer just may have 10/100 networking devices as the phone may have 10/100/1000 device.

·
Trusted Advisor
10,381 Posts
Cameraman306, keep in mind speeds over the 2.4 network will never be above 50-60 Mbps, anything higher and you need to connect to the 5ghz.

Another thing is since you h e Xfinity test your speed here:

Speedtest.xfinity.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.