Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gain, my Win 10 won't start....why does this keep happening? I have dual OS, lucky for me. A few months ago it won't start but then i got an error and corrected it and got it to start again. I forgot what the error was. Now, it stopped again but this time with no error. I used the Media tool and chose repair and it goes through its usual diagnostic mode and eventually says it cannot be repaired. I tried reset and the same situation...no help at all. I made sure that i disconnected my win 7, which i am using now writing this post, and both OS are on separate hd's. In fact Win 10 was installed on a less than one year old SSD. I did see the option to reinstall, but hesitated. If it does reinstall, at what stage would i get? Would i have to go through the constant updates again, which in my opinion are the cause of this loop of Win 10 getting a 'stroke' now and then or maybe Microsoft set it up this way so you can buy their 'free' win 10 system.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The SSD Windows 10 is on may have bad sectors or be defective. You may need to take the SSD to be looked at to see if it has a hardware issue. However, you should first try to reinstall Windows 10 to see if a reinstall corrects the problem and Windows 10 works.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The SSD Windows 10 is on may have bad sectors or be defective. You may need to take the SSD to be looked at to see if it has a hardware issue. However, you should first try to reinstall Windows 10 to see if a reinstall corrects the problem and Windows 10 works.
I've been advise to download a program called "HD sentinal". I ran it and the report came back that the hd is "perfect''....no need for action." I tried again running the media tool, prior to that i also did chdsk and was given 2 options...the upgrade version or customize. I was denied the upgrade and did not do the customized cause it gave me a list of what i would lose. Now, I never had the opportunity of saving some files on win 10, so i ignored it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Since Windows 10 on your computer may be corrupted, a Windows reset should be done. First back up important files and your photos to an external USB drive, not a USB stick. Next, use an app to extract all product keys of installed apps. You may need to download an app to do this if one is not installed, already. If you cannot save a copy of the product keys to a file to keep on the external drive, you will have to write the product keys of the correct versions of the apps listed on paper. Now, choose the reinstall option for reinstalling Windows 10 with existing file folders kept in place and do the updates once the reinstall is completed. Verify that all backed up files by you are in place. Once this is done and you know they are in place, enter the product keys for the Microsoft apps that require them to be entered in to function beyond the trial period. Apps you installed yourself will have to be reinstalled and ones requiring product keys will need to have them entered in. It is important to note that the correct version of each app has to be reinstalled for apps requiring product key activation of the given app. After this is completed, Desktop and display settings can be customized. Let us know if Windows 10 works correctly once this is all done.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since Windows 10 on your computer may be corrupted, a Windows reset should be done. First back up important files and your photos to an external USB drive, not a USB stick. Next, use an app to extract all product keys of installed apps. You may need to download an app to do this if one is not installed, already. If you cannot save a copy of the product keys to a file to keep on the external drive, you will have to write the product keys of the correct versions of the apps listed on paper. Now, choose the reinstall option for reinstalling Windows 10 with existing file folders kept in place and do the updates once the reinstall is completed. Verify that all backed up files by you are in place. Once this is done and you know they are in place, enter the product keys for the Microsoft apps that require them to be entered in to function beyond the trial period. Apps you installed yourself will have to be reinstalled and ones requiring product keys will need to have them entered in. It is important to note that the correct version of each app has to be reinstalled for apps requiring product key activation of the given app. After this is completed, Desktop and display settings can be customized. Let us know if Windows 10 works correctly once this is all done.
Win 10 cannot even start, so how am i going to save some files as you suggested?

·
Trusted Advisor
3,837 Posts
You connect both drives at the same time.
If windows 7 is the first hard disk you boot to windows 7
Look in computer and you will see the windows 10 as a second drive.
You can then access the folders on the windows 10 drive

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try a repair
If you have the creation tool
boot from that and use the repair option
Yes, I have used the tool once before and had no problem when Win 10 could not be opened...but then i got an error message about a file called "Winload". I forgot how I corrected it, but it worked...this time I did not get any message or error. The first attempt is to go tjo Repair, but after a few seconds of diagnosts, it tells me cannot repair. Then I tried other options to no avail. The one I had not tried is the one that tells me if I reinstall i will lose all my personal files,apps and etc. So i hesitated.

·
Trusted Advisor
3,837 Posts
Once you have the personal files off you may have to reinstall.
When you boot from the usb do you have the win 10 only disk connected.
We could try a system restore?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once you have the personal files off you may have to reinstall.
When you boot from the usb do you have the win 10 only disk connected.
We could try a system restore?
System restore could not be utilized. BTW, i have win 7 disconnected when i use the tool. Like I said, I have tried all options which include reset and no luck...the one i didn't try is the one i mentioned earlier. Its getting late here so i will try that one tomorrow.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
System restore could not be utilized. BTW, i have win 7 disconnected when i use the tool. Like I said, I have tried all options which include reset and no luck...the one i didn't try is the one i mentioned earlier. Its getting late here so i will try that one tomorrow.
Sorry for any kind of delay...personal problems came up.....now i was preparing to copy folders i need from win 10 to my win 7, via share side by side, but doen't seem to work. I change each view by different system drives "F" (win 10 ) to "C" ( win 7 ), but each time i pick the one folder from F to another folder to C, doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way?

·
Trusted Advisor
3,837 Posts
Try and create a new folder in win 7
Open the folder in win 10 and click on 1 item
then press ctrl + A key together. This should highlight all items
Press ctrl + C key
Open new folder on 7 and press Ctrl + V key

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try and create a new folder in win 7
Open the folder in win 10 and click on 1 item
then press ctrl + A key together. This should highlight all items
Press ctrl + C key
Open new folder on 7 and press Ctrl + V key
This is crazy.....on my only working system, Win 7, I click on "Computer', choose the "C" drive. I do the same thing opening the F drive, Win 10 and then go to task manager and choose 'show side by side." ...fine so far....when i choose the folder Download on my F drive and repeat on the other side where C drive is shown, they show identical files. I just arbitrary picking Download, but it is the same with any folder...they match file for file. It is confusing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts