Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay why do some people when they are building a comouter or when they are formatting than installing the OS they like to use the classic or basic mouse and keyboard than after the computer is up and running than install the cordless mouse and keyboard ?

Note you don't need drivers for a basic mouse and keyboard only cordless mouse and keyboard or one that has more features.

Well Windows plug and play will detect it on startup.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I suppose it's just another gadget they can use and they want to be on the cutting edge.
For me, a plain old optical PS2 mouse and a PS2 keyboard is sufficient.
Sometimes people on the cutting edge get cut when their gadgets don't work as well as they thought they would.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Note you don't need drivers for a basic mouse and keyboard only cordless mouse and keyboard or one that has more features.
Well this is not exactly true, no matter what mouse you use or keyboard you still need a driver for them. everything (hardware wise) needs a driver, XP has basic (generic) driver for almost all of them.

As I was trying to explain the other day to somebody not all are equal thought
USB drivers are not installed in such as "safemode" so some mouse keyboards may not function. But some may, like my MX duo set, It works just fine during install and safemode.
But there are some USB devices (keyboard/mouse)
So it really just depends on what keyboard/mouse you have (optical) if it is going to work or not during install.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Cordless mouses and keyboards often don't work with XP setup. I always use standard Ps2 of both, and then later if for me, I switch to cordless mouse.
As for drivers true Windows has basic drivers for all mouses, cordless and corded and frankly they work better than most mouse maker software which create nothing but conflicts usually.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Okay why do some people when they are building a comouter or when they are formatting than installing the OS they like to use the classic or basic mouse and keyboard than after the computer is up and running than install the cordless mouse and keyboard ?
Because sometimes they don't work during setup...

;) :D

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Cordess or USB keyboards do work with Windows setup, provided you set it.

In the BIOS of most systems is a selection for Legacy Support of USB Devices. This allows the BIOS to control the keyboard until Windows takes over. Once setup loads (a stripped down version of 3.1), the mouse will work. Setup will support any mouse that supports PS/2 or USB 1.1. Currently, all Microsoft and Logitech mice (including optical, laser, or wireless) do.

Also, wireless or not is immaterial. Windows sees the receiver as the keyboard/mouse.

Courtney sends....

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Well...

Sometimes that option isn't available ( or doesn't work with some of the keyboards and mice ), so a lot of us older than dirt techs will use PS2 keyboards and mice during setup, just to fore go the hassle of trouble shooting it...

Then set up the fancy keyboards and mice after the OS is installed...

:D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well this is not exactly true, no matter what mouse you use or keyboard you still need a driver for them. everything (hardware wise) needs a driver, XP has basic (generic) driver for almost all of them.
Yes but Windows plug and play will find it and install the drivers for it.Not all mouse and keyboard come with drivers .The Windows plug and play should find it .

And the BIOS will support all basic mouse and keyboard but keep in mind in the BIOS setup the mouse will not work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.