Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had this problem for a while and I thought the reason was because I didn’t have Microsft Office installed. I just installed Microsoft Office 2007 and I am still not able to open any attatchements. I could be word, powerpoint or excele. I also tried saving them first and that didn't work eaither. I am very lost and confused into what to do. I just started school and I know I will be getting a lot of email attatchments from my instruscters. Please help me fix this problem.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
can you open the files via office

if you goto say a word file and double click on it - what happens ?

what email client are you using - some have options to stop loading any files like word, excel, powerpoint etc for security reasons - but if you save them onto the PC should be able to open

because I didn't have Microsft Office installed. I just installed Microsoft Office 2007
what did you have before ? - where did you get office 2007 from

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saved it and tried opening it via office and it works. But I want to be able to open it by clicking it from my inbox. When I double click a couple of boxes opens up and it gives me the choice of open, save or cancel and of course I tried to open and it doesn't work.
I'm using different email accounts. I had Microsoft works that came with the computer when i purchased and I thought that was the reason I was having a hard time. I guess not. The Microsoft office 2007 that I just installed is original software that I purchased. Any Idea what else I can do to fix?

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
where are you having the issue on the web email yahoo or the outlook client

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
what browser are you using on yahoo
what antivirus or firewall do you have - they may be blocking
do you have the yahoo toolbar - that can also block

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Internet explorer and for antivirus it's McAfee. My initial thought was that it had to do with security setting or firewall; sadly I have no idea how to fix it. Thanks etaf for helping me.

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
i would disable mcafee and see if you are now allowed to open an attachment - should be a way to exit mcafee - right click on the symbol in the system tray - bottom righthand side normally - should have an option to exit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have McaFee anymore. It expired. Therefore I don't think its Mcafee. I just downloaded Microsoft Security Essential and I tried to open an attatchment from my inbox and still does not work.
It's most likely something in the computer settings. I don't know where to look to unable.

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
did the link run with no errors?
what browser are you using to open yahoo and the attachment

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
in internet explorer