Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is best for surfing the web a 17 or 19 inch lcd monitor, I dont think i need widescreen because I dont use dvd CDs (games) .The maximum resolution for both 17 and 19 inch is 1280 x 1024. So am i correct in thinking that the 17 inch will be sharper web page (picture) than the 19 inch. Pros and cons for both sizes would be helpfull.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
alankearn said:
So am i correct in thinking that the 17 inch will be sharper web page (picture) than the 19 inch.
No, the picture quality is the same for 17 and 19. I got a 19'' LCD a while back and I like it so much I'll never go back to 17. You get more on the screen at the same time so you do less scrolling. I would definitely recommend getting a 19''.

The only advantage for the 17 is that they are a little bit cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
20.1 inch.
Simply stated ... Most everything you view will have a 4:3 aspect ratio.
17 and 19" monitors are a 5:4 aspect ratio ... 20.1" are 4:3..... typically.
If you view a 4:3 display on a 5:4 monitor ... it will be shrunk in width by 6%.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I prefer the larger sizes. Why squeeze everything into a 17" monitor when you can have a 19" monitor. Smaller pixels aren't necessarily better, and all the text is smaller too. ;)

FWIW, I haven't seen any issue with the aspect ratio issue. Most applications resize to fit whatever screen resolution you have. The only thing that I see as an issue is viewing graphics, but they're certainly not all 4:3 anyway. :)

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
If the aspect ratio of your display setting doesn't match the native aspect ratio of you monitor ..
Then the attached perfect Circle/Square will not be displayed as such.

For example ...
A setting of 1024x768 on a typical 17" or 19" monitor will look like a tall egg with the width shrunk by 6%
What's in the computer is OK .. you just don't see it right.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The circle looks perfect on my 1280x1024 monitors here. It also looks perfect on the one in the corner with a 1024x768 CRT.

Like I said, unless you set your video attributes incorrectly, this should be a non-issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.