Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8,372 Posts
why other opinions?

which one do you like best?

·
Registered
432 Posts
the picture on the right second picture..

the first picture not much contrast, sky and water almost the same color..kind of washed out

second picture more contrast between the sky and the water..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. The reason for my asking is that I have been editing this picture I took so that the contrasts will be stronger. I know they are very alike and I know the difference. Maybe my question should have been: which picture looks better?

Personally I like the one on the right because of stronger contrasts :) .

·
Registered
492 Posts
We all have different monitors set up differently. It's difficult to evaluate the quality of a digital photograph unless it's viewed on a monitor that's been calibrated to the output device it is intended for. Is this image going to be for on-screen display? Laser or inkjet printed? Offset press? It's purpose will determine proper methods to fine tune the image and to what extent it's even necessary.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oh, yeah... by the way... For on-screen viewing, as we are all doing now, either photograph is fine; good contrast, detail, sharp image. There's a slightly wider color range in the second photo, but again, with all types of different monitors—some flat panel, some CRT with different adapters and settings—it really makes no difference here. For web photos, you want smaller file size while maintaing quality; for offset press, highest possible quality is necessary and those files can be huge—not good for mapping quickly over the internet.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
question to Wilson, how can you tell the picture is compressed? Info in Irfanview shows both exactly the same numbers in everything. Doesn\t compression depend on at what setting the camera was put on?
I like the stronger colors on the right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, both pics were taken in jpg format and I shrinked the files before posting them. Do you think I should always use the raw format when trying to take good pictures like this one or doesn´t it matter?

·
Banned
6 Posts
The one on the right has been colour corrected, blues are blues not purple like on the left,
still needs some fine tuning in the water, shadow details and foreground need attention.
good luck, halfway home :)
Saddam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.