Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at building a system in a few months :) and I am just doing as much research as I can to get ready. I thank you for taking the time to read this. I am planning on using EVGA's 680i SLI 775 Mobo with Intel's Core 2 DUO CPU and an nVidia 8800 GTX GPU. The Intel chip will probably be the E6600 because of the 4MB of L2 cache, unless I decide to get the E6300 and just overclock it. This could all change of course, within the next few months, but as of right now these are the basics of the system I want to build. This rig will be mainly used for extreme gaming on a Dell 22-inch LCD at resolutions of 1680X1050. Now I am posting this to see what all of you recommend what I should get for my memory. I am looking at getting at least 2 gigs and I would like to keep the price of this rig around $2,000. The memory will be dual channel. Now would my money be better well spent on getting 2 gigs of PC2 8500 or 2 gigs of PC2 6400 at about 200 dollars cheaper? Or maybe memory at a different speed? I realize the PC2 8500 will be faster but is it really worth it? Thanks for any replies and recommendations.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Get 800Mhz of DDRII Like Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, etc at the best price for the higher end models.

The E4300 can OC to almost X6800 speed... And what is out in 2-3 months may change your mind...

$175 - C2D CPU
$150 - Mobo
$250 - 2GB RAM
$200 - Case + PSU
$550 - 8800GTX card.
--------------------------
$1325 - Total, not including OS or monitor

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crjdriver said:
Is there any reason you are going with an nvidia chipset board instead of an intel chipset board?
Other than because of the reviews I have read, none really. :)

·
Super Moderator
46,553 Posts
Unless you intend to run sli, go with a board using an intel chipset. IMO nothing beats the stability of an intel cpu running on a quality intel chipset board.
Here are two decent boards using the intel chipset.
Asus board or this Epox board FWIW I would go with the epox since I have had very good luck with epox in builds. Asus seems to have had some quality control issues lately. BTW either of these will save you approx $100 :)

·
Super Moderator
46,553 Posts
As for memory, make sure what you select appears on the "Approved" memory list at whatever board maker's site you go with. I see many problems where someone did a build and went with some high performance memory and the system will not boot. Many times this memory needs a higher voltage that what the board defaults to and will not work until the vdimm is adjusted in the bios. Of course if you do not have an extra 240pin memory chip, this can be a real problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crjdriver said:
Unless you intend to run sli, go with a board using an intel chipset. IMO nothing beats the stability of an intel cpu running on a quality intel chipset board.
Here are two decent boards using the intel chipset.
Asus board or this Epox board FWIW I would go with the epox since I have had very good luck with epox in builds. Asus seems to have had some quality control issues lately. BTW either of these will save you approx $100 :)
Thanks, I will definitely keep the Epox board as an option. I may go SLI though. I should have said that. :/ I want to keep SLI open as an upgrade option for the future. Thanks again though for the advice. :) With that being said, for the EVGA board, what memory do you recommend?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crjdriver said:
As for memory, make sure what you select appears on the "Approved" memory list at whatever board maker's site you go with. I see many problems where someone did a build and went with some high performance memory and the system will not boot. Many times this memory needs a higher voltage that what the board defaults to and will not work until the vdimm is adjusted in the bios. Of course if you do not have an extra 240pin memory chip, this can be a real problem.
I have been checking the "approved list" found here http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21137

The question I have is, PC2 8500 or PC2 6400? What's the best bang for my buck? Thanks, again. :)

·
Super Moderator
46,553 Posts
Unless you are going to seriously overclock the system, just get the 6400 memory. If you do intend to oc the system [and you do not want to use a lower divider for the ram] then get the higher speed memory. The higher speed memory is quite a bit more expensive so decide on whether or not you intend to OC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.